1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with swollen eye!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by littlecrow, Aug 1, 2013.

1. littlecrow

littlecrow New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    We noticed our 16 month old bantam rooster, a couple of weeks ago that his eyes looked watery, bubbly. We kept watching it and it seemed to slowly get worse. It was worse in his left eye. His left eye shut and crusted over. His other eye see seemed fine. Yesterday, we finally got him to eat and drink. After he found the water, he drank for about 10 minutes. Later he looked a little better and the crust was gone eye still shut. We know he was dehydrated. This morning he ate and we gave him water. We heard of using honey and water as an eye rinse? Any ideas?

2. Mindychick

Mindychick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2012
    My parents used to raise psittacines (budgies, parrots, cockatiels ect..) This website is a reference that they used and many of their friends do too. I refer to this site quite often and as there are few Avian vets in my area. It has helped me a lot. Below is the link. I hope this will help you now and into the future.

Good Luck [​IMG]

Melinda

http://www.avianweb.com/eyeproblems.html

3. littlecrow

littlecrow New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    Thank you Mindychick. It said to use aloe for injuries. Still not sure if it is injured.

4. Mindychick

Mindychick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2012
    Yes, I read that too, but aloe is homeopathic and very soothing. It shouldn't hurt to try. keep me updated. I hope he gets better soon.

Melinda[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by