Help, Wobbly rooster is having trouble walking

Windsong Farms

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2021
I have a Russian Orloff Rooster that is almost 3 years old. I have had him since he was 3 days old. Today I went in the stall and he is extremely wobbly and having trouble even walking. He is usually very active and has always been my most dominant rooster. A few weeks ago he had some dried blood on the back of both legs. I wrapped his legs in vet wrap to keep the others from pecking at him, but I didn't worry too much Because he has always been such a bad ass. I cleaned his legs and unwrapped them 1 week later. I don't know if the dried blood on his legs could be related to the apparent loss of balance he had now. It's like his equilibrium is off. I'm wondering if it could be neurologic issue. He is housed with 5 hens in an extremely clean 20ft by 30 ft stall, so he has plenty of room and nothing in the environment has changed. I dewormed all my chickens recently with safegaurd in the water. 3mls per gallon of water. I left it out for 2 days, then discarded and repeated 10 days later. Any advice is greatly appreciated. He is now confined and I am giving water via syringe with electrolytes and cooked eggs.

Is there any sign of head injury on him even though the blood was on his legs? Try giving him some vitamin e and b1 powder in case it's a vitamin deficiency if it's not that then it could be something contagious that needs to be treated with antibiotics my best recomendation would be isolated him for now and trying the vitamins

Thank you. I isolated him as soon as I noticed it. It seems that his left leg is giving out on him, but there is no sign of injury. He is eating and drinking well, so maybe he will pull through.

Maybe he has a fracture on his leg if he's eating and drinking on his own that's a good sign though! I hope he pulls through:)

Back
Top Bottom