HELP ~ Young rooster gaping !

LindaR

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 8, 2012
I have a young rooster that was making a noise like a hiccup or like if a person would cough. Then
he opens his mouth. The chickens have been on a very fine ground egg layer. I separated him last
night & put a lamp on him & gave him just scratch grain. He has no drainage, pus, looks fine. I
read on here about gaping being worms. He is the only one doing this. I wonder if the dry feed
has cloged his throat ? Please let me know what you think. For now, he is separated.

Last edited:
If you are concerned about powdery feed, put a bit of water in it and stir--an oatmeal consistency. It is more nutritious than scratch. Gapeworm is rare. Chickens will open their beaks when they are hot, when they are having difficulty breathing, when they are adjusting their crops, and with gapeworm. He may have a virus called infectious bronchitis, or a disease called mycoplasma. If he deveops any thick nasal drainage, swelling of the eye or face, or eye bubbles, I would start an antibiotic such as Tylan 50 injectable given as a shot, or given very carefully orally. Choking is easily done with oral meds.

I have 2 of them separated now & am feeding them scratch grain + crumbles. They look fine.
On the one I put up today, he did not have anything in his crop. Do you think it would be OK
to get some antibiotic to put in the water ?

I tend to be conservative about antibiotics, saving them for very serious symptoms, so that they will work when I need them. The problem with using them right now is that it may be just a virus, and the antibiotics won't treat that, but if he develops more symptoms, that would indicate at secondary bacterial infection--so then I would use them. Read this info about mycoplasma and infectious bronchitis in 1st link and watch the video in the second link--that truly looks like gapeworm:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/831466/hen-breathing-very-heavily-advice-video-included

This info was a very big help with my birds. I am leaning towards mycoplasma Gallisepticum
/lower or Aspergilliosis. The info said an antibiotic would help, but they would be carriers.
One of these 2 issues it said could be caused from mold, ect. I am still wondering if the fine
ground feed could be a cause. I have these to in a separate hutch, so will see how it goes !
I saw the video about gapeworm & they are not like that. Thanks Again, Linda

PS: These two birds are 2 of 4 BLR Wyandotte roos. I still do not want to lose them !!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom