HELP!!!

Pics

Perry17

Songster
Sep 17, 2017
I am panicking!!! I had duck eggs in the incubator when Irma came through. I lost power for a few days, and assumed all my eggs died.

I just left them in there incase, in the closet of my room. The incubator had been on. They were still in the turner, but I unplugged it weeks ago.

I forgot all about them, and I heard peeping!! They are hatching!!! In the Incubator, in the turner that hasn't been on, but they are sitting upright! I haven't even touched the humidity.

What should I do? Take them out long enough to take the turner out and add water??

I have hatched hundreds of other birds but never ducks, I always had problems halfway through.

I am shaking so bad and my mind is spinning, I don't want to mess up at this point after they made it through all that. Any advice?

IMG_0720.JPG

They sound strong and healthy, peeping very loud now that they have been moved around a little.

I have no idea how long they have been like this. Most likely since last night? The both have nice sized holes, so they are breathing okay. I'll keep watching and see if they progress any.

They are Pekin Hen eggs, with a Khaki Campbell Drake.

My hen usually lays everyday, but I wanted to have enough to get a new batch so I waited. And she stopped laying altogether for some reason. Usually she lays year round so it was odd. I am so glad she stopped, or I would have swithched out the eggs weeks ago. Crazy how things work out like that. A blessing in disguise! When she stopped laying I thought I had lost my chance to have baby ducks this year. So I'm am ecstatic right now!!

But I feel awful. I candled them and they looked bad, so I gave up on them. Unplugged the turner and left them to give them a chance untill I had new eggs to switch. And forgot all about them! And here they are!

Wow!!! Awesome!!

I would add a damp sponge or two, for a little added humidity, since you have other eggs in there, the sponges will be easier to remove when you pull the hatchers out!

Otherwise, I wouldn't bother removing the turner at this point. Let these 2 hatch. Then check the others, and decide whether they need more turning, whether they may have quit from not being turned.

Woohoo, what a nice surprise!

I'm in south ga swamp land. So we already have an extremely high humidity, maybe that is what saved them. But sitting upright in a turner that wasn't even on for the last two weeks? I thought they would be stuck too. Crazy.

The holes are higher near the top than what I would prefer, but maybe they can figure it out.

I added sponges instead of doing the syringe, I am glad I did because you made a great point. I was planning to split the two different ages into separate hatchers when I put them on lockdown. But since I thought they were all already dead I didn't worry about it, and forgot.

I have tried to hatch ducks at least three times with no success. And I babied them the whole time...just blows my mind that neglect was all I did this time and they actually hatched.

Glad I have found this forum. I can jabber nonstop, and my family doesn't have to deal with listening to it. So sorry about all the messages everyone. Haha Thank you all so much!

Back
Top Bottom