HELP!!

HayleyCrum

Songster
Feb 27, 2022
East Tennessee
One of my baby ducks has appeared to have something in his eye. He opens the eye but not for long and then keeps it closed most of the time. I have tried tonsee what is in it and it looks like some yellow mucus or something. I dont know what to do?? I have searched on google but I need more answers!

My next question is, what kind of water should i be putting in there watering bowl? Is tap water okay? Hose water?

Sorry, I don't have an answer about your duckling's eye.

As far as water goes, I live in the country and when I am brooding ducklings, I use tap water that comes from my well. Since I live in an area with very hard water, I have a water softener. Some people have suggested the salt in the water softener might be harmful, but none of my ducklings has ever seemed to have problems.

When the weather is nice, and that babies are big enough to go outside, everybody drinks from the hose and/or spigot.

Hope someone can help with your baby's eye problem.

The eye sounds like it has infection -- maybe from a scratch to the cornea or a small bit of grit. You need to bathe the eye with salt water several times a day until that pus has gone. You would be best to have a helper and to wrap the duck in a towel. One person holds the duck in the towel and the other holds the head had bathes the eye -- it's possible to gently hold the eyelid down with one finger [ducks eyelids come up from the bottom of the eye to close] if the duck's eye us closed. If the duck's eye is open you can pour salt water over the eye to flush out pus and debris.

Salt water is made by bringing a cup of water to the boil with a 3 finger pinch of salt. Then cooling the water down to room temperature. You can use tap water.

if there is no improvement, you should see an avian vet or a farm vet as the duck might need an antibiotic

Sorry, I don't have an answer about your duckling's eye.

As far as water goes, I live in the country and when I am brooding ducklings, I use tap water that comes from my well. Since I live in an area with very hard water, I have a water softener. Some people have suggested the salt in the water softener might be harmful, but none of my ducklings has ever seemed to have problems.

When the weather is nice, and that babies are big enough to go outside, everybody drinks from the hose and/or spigot.

Hope someone can help with your baby's eye problem.
thank you, i have been giving hose water and warm tap water so this is a relief to hear

The eye sounds like it has infection -- maybe from a scratch to the cornea or a small bit of grit. You need to bathe the eye with salt water several times a day until that pus has gone. You would be best to have a helper and to wrap the duck in a towel. One person holds the duck in the towel and the other holds the head had bathes the eye -- it's possible to gently hold the eyelid down with one finger [ducks eyelids come up from the bottom of the eye to close] if the duck's eye us closed. If the duck's eye is open you can pour salt water over the eye to flush out pus and debris.

Salt water is made by bringing a cup of water to the boil with a 3 finger pinch of salt. Then cooling the water down to room temperature. You can use tap water.

if there is no improvement, you should see an avian vet or a farm vet as the duck might need an antibiotic
Thank you! I will do this as soon as I get home!

One of my baby ducks has appeared to have something in his eye. He opens the eye but not for long and then keeps it closed most of the time. I have tried tonsee what is in it and it looks like some yellow mucus or something. I dont know what to do?? I have searched on google but I need more answers!

My next question is, what kind of water should i be putting in there watering bowl? Is tap water okay? Hose water?
I think tap and hose water should be okay. I’d make sure the water is deep enough for them to dunk their heads in and clean their eyes. I’ve seen where people use Terramycin eye ointment for eye infections. Someone may have a better answer for you on that

Thank you! I will do this as soon as I get home!

Also, should i use gloves to do this or just making sure that I wash my hands before handling him, i dont know if ducks contract anything from human hands. Also if i give him a tub to swim around in so he is able to duck his head in it should i just wash the tub with, dawn dish soap

And i want to also say the eye isnt matted, when he opens it nothing is visible to my eyes of anything there, its just when its closed and you pull the eyelid down you can see stuff in it

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom