Help!

Jsmith18

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2022
I incubated eggs that Were born in June. I think three of these lovelies are roos. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 6B9A58C1-ECE0-4DB3-A32E-151B9CA39B6A.jpeg
    6B9A58C1-ECE0-4DB3-A32E-151B9CA39B6A.jpeg
    403.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 42328010-B9F3-491F-BDD2-DB8148D0A8B0.jpeg
    42328010-B9F3-491F-BDD2-DB8148D0A8B0.jpeg
    725 KB · Views: 2
  • 24B47E73-589C-4385-8B7D-25D441A0E8C1.jpeg
    24B47E73-589C-4385-8B7D-25D441A0E8C1.jpeg
    839.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 9B9970A0-7B22-4CBD-806C-7101F1D76721.png
    9B9970A0-7B22-4CBD-806C-7101F1D76721.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 3
  • F7438138-8905-42F2-A25A-CA609B80CD7E.jpeg
    F7438138-8905-42F2-A25A-CA609B80CD7E.jpeg
    792.1 KB · Views: 2
I think they’re males. Especially with how the combs go backward, like how Micah’s is. In my experience female combs tend to fold and males start off with spikes and then hang back in a large shape.
Ughhhh that means I got 5 roos from that group 😫😫 funny part is I became more attached to them then the hens

Ughhhh that means I got 5 roos from that group 😫😫 funny part is I became more attached to them then the hens
Males aren’t too bad if you treat them right. Grab them from behind when you pick them up, like a predator so they get a little scared. Then be gentle when placing them back down with care. If you keep them you’ll need to handle them frequently so they’re used to you. Roos can be as docile as puppies if you treat them right. If not they’ll challenge you all the time and then it’s into the cooking pot he goes.
They’re also less testy when it’s only males and not a female to fight over.

Males aren’t too bad if you treat them right. Grab them from behind when you pick them up, like a predator so they get a little scared. Then be gentle when placing them back down with care. If you keep them you’ll need to handle them frequently so they’re used to you. Roos can be as docile as puppies if you treat them right. If not they’ll challenge you all the time and then it’s into the cooking pot he goes.
They’re also less testy when it’s only males and not a female to fight over.
Thanks for the advice!! i really appreciate it!! My first rooster became very hostile and unfortunately we have to rehome him because he attacked my daughter, but with the ones we are keeping i have already dominated them and let them know i am the boss. however i did do it from the moment i suspected they were roos- do you recommend i do it again. one of my friends told me to put his face to the ground and do not let him eat first when i serve the food. Is this something they forget?

i have already dominated them and let them know i am the boss. do you recommend i do it again. one of my friends told me to put his face to the ground and do not let him eat first when i serve the food. Is this something they forget?
In my circles and own flock, I haven’t had the need to do this. Always avoid grabbing them from the front where they can see you coming. It may develop a pattern of trying to assert authority with you. If you get them from the back with your hand touching their back/neck area, they’ll cower down and get scared. Because it recreates a predator getting them. If that’s how you get them every time they will associate you with it and won’t have the opportunity to develop a bad habit. It’s also good if you get them accustomed to being held and touched.

For example: I went over to a friend’s yesterday and carried a ko shamo hen. Her and the rooster were easy to handle and didn’t try anything, since they’re handled frequently for breeding. Then I went to hold another group of ko shamo hens that were left to roam and aren’t touched. And when I tel you those little things scream— I mean that wailed their lungs out worse than I’ve ever heard a chicken scream. That and they were budging to run off. So this story shows that even females can develop undesirable behaviors if not handles often. If those females were handles often starting today, they’d eventually become alright with it.

So also bear in mind that having roosters free roam can make them too cocky or scared. My first rooster was a free roamer that always size me up. Once he because aggressive, I’d kick at him, but that only made him seek me out every time. However, when I carried him on the car ride over to sell him, he was completely mellow. More so than another rooster I didn’t interact with in the slightest.

Anyways I hope this all helped. I haven’t don’t domination tactics and I don’t know anyone who has. Also, I have an automatic feeder and my friend tosses his feed into cages and outdoors. If those things you mentioned work for you then that’s great! Personally I don’t wanna duke it out with another bird. My friend play fights with his and it turns out alright without a competition for dominance.

But after you get them from the back, don’t forget to put them down gently. Even if you play fight with them, always gentle. So it knows you’re not a threat to him or whoever.

But after you get them from the back, don’t forget to put them down gently. Even if you play fight with them, always gentle. So it knows you’re not a threat to him or whoever.
You are God sent- I prefer to handle them often then do the whole domination thing. I will do this a lot more than I am. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom