Help!

CraziChickLady

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 3, 2012
North Carolina
So i started off with 4 chickens because this is my first time, i am now down to 2, my husband found one yesterday dead by the fence, we think it was a hawk , we keep them locked up at night but durning the day they free range around our whole back yard, so anyways we are now thinking of keeping them in the run while we are gone and let them free range when we are home our run is about 10 x 6, is enough for 2? also the one had been real aggressive toward the other one, is it because she is stressed because of the loss? i dunno what to do, if we keep them in the run i dont want her to hurt the other one and if we let them free range something might happen again...can you have only 2 or do you need more for them to be happy? we plan on ordering some but have to wait because the min you can order is 15. thank you :)

Sounds like your going to need to keep in pens. Hawks will keep coming back, You will need netting on top to keep them from flying in. I think you can keep up to 6 chickens in 10 feet by 6 .

When you free range you're always courting losses to predators. Sounds like your run is plenty large for two hens. There are lots of threads around here about boredom busters for birds, also. I'd say kep them cooped until you can be there to babysit for predators.

Whenever you have a change in the flock it upsets the birds and they may act out for a day or so until they adjust to the new status quo.

I would most difently keep them locked up safe when you are not home and just them stuff to keep busy. then free range when you are able to keep eye out on them now hawk knowns where easy dinner is it will keep coming back. Good luck

I had to build my Silkies a covered run for this very reason. The hawks have been awful this hear in my neck of the woods. I was doing dishes one day (the window in front of my sink looks out into the Silkie pen) and as I was washing a huge hawk swooped down and knocked himself silly on the fence. The following weekend my birds got a new coop with an enclosed run. The peace of mind I have now is fantastic! Good luck!
Nikki

Back
Top Bottom