Tomorrow is ceramics class again. So that will be fun. Friday I am going to Farmville area to sell some chickens, and visit a friend of mine. I am giving away 7 roosters to one person that takes them in to find them homes. My friend wants 2 or 3 bantam polish roosters of mine. And I am selling a pair of Candy Corn Polish to someone else. So 11 or 12 less chickens, almost all roosters, will be a huge help.
20240119_131054.jpg

My question may seem stupid, but I'm a complete zero and this is my first chicken coop. What is the best way to cover the floor?
Welcome, @Mantascon! What is your subfloor made of?

Ideally, you would cover it with something waterproof. A lot of people use sheet vinyl flooring; sometimes you can get a leftover piece very cheaply. Some people have used a product called Blackjack 57, which is a coating that seals the surface.

There are a LOT of articles about building coops in the article section of BYC, so you may find something suitable there. If you have a specific question about something you've read here on BYC or elsewhere, you will get more answers if you start a new thread.

Pictures of your coop are always helpful, so we can provide more relevant advice.

My question may seem stupid, but I'm a complete zero and this is my first chicken coop. What is the best way to cover the floor?
I used Blackjack 57. It is a rubberized roof coating. It works fine but if I were to do it again, I would paint it.

I thought the Blackjack would be more waterproof than paint. I didn't realize that wouldn't matter with as much ventilation as I have and with using the deep bedding method so I very rarely scoop a shovel along the floor. Paint would work as well in my setup, cost less, and be much easier to apply.

I have hoop coops with no floor, just dirt. I also do deep litter. The year it flooded, the corners they had dust bath holes dug filled with water. I put pine pellets down. Worked out well. I have an apron around the outside so only thing that has dug in was moles.

Back
Top Bottom