hen abandoned nest on day 23

Sunnylee

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 19, 2013
hello BYC friends, I am new to chickens and just had our first 21 days of clucky chooks, one hatched this morning but by the time i found it, it had been pecked and was cold, I took it to work with me but it died about 2:30pm, anyway when i seen it had been attacked i moved mum and the eggs this morning to a room of their own and I have come home this afternoon to find the eggs abandoned and no more hatched.... What do i do? do i try and get them warm again or is it too late?

I am so sorry about your loss anyway broody chickens usually abandon eggs after first hatch especially when you take the baby away but you did the right thing when you took it because it was injured. Sometimes they get agitated when you move them but get back on after a little while I know that the really broody ones don't even budge when you move them but every hen is different so really all you can do now is wait or you can try and sit her back to get her interested again good luck
fl.gif
jumpy.gif

Sometimes broody hens get off on the first hatching others stay on until all hatch, Yours might have gotten agitated by you moving it maybe you should just try sitting her back on to see if you can get her interested again I've got a broody hen on day twenty and she is a serious broody she pecks me like you wouldn't believe viscous little girl all 5 of my eggs are fertile so I'm hoping we get some tomorrow, I also once had a broody hen that got of her eggs on day 21 after her first hatch then she left the baby and off she went so I made a quick homemade incubator electric blanket and nice warm fleece jumper and wrapped eggs in that managed to hatch 6 but one little fella didn't make it good luck
fl.gif

welcome-byc.gif
I think you should try and incubate the eggs since you can't rely on mama, and she didn't protect that chick which got attacked. She may even have attacked it herself. First time broodies are not always prepared to be mothers.

You could try tapping the eggs gently to see if they move, or making chicken sounds to see if any respond. Sometimes a hen leaves the nest if she feels the eggs are no longer viable. She most likely quit, because chickens don't react well to changes.

Sometimes broody hens get off on the first hatching others stay on until all hatch, Yours might have gotten agitated by you moving it maybe you should just try sitting her back on to see if you can get her interested again I've got a broody hen on day twenty and she is a serious broody she pecks me like you wouldn't believe viscous little girl all 5 of my eggs are fertile so I'm hoping we get some tomorrow, I also once had a broody hen that got of her eggs on day 21 after her first hatch then she left the baby and off she went so I made a quick homemade incubator electric blanket and nice warm fleece jumper and wrapped eggs in that managed to hatch 6 but one little fella didn't make it good luck
fl.gif
Wow, an electric blanket thats an idea I havent heard of yet. thankyou​

welcome-byc.gif
I think you should try and incubate the eggs since you can't rely on mama, and she didn't protect that chick which got attacked. She may even have attacked it herself. First time broodies are not always prepared to be mothers.

You could try tapping the eggs gently to see if they move, or making chicken sounds to see if any respond. Sometimes a hen leaves the nest if she feels the eggs are no longer viable. She most likely quit, because chickens don't react well to changes.
Okay she didnt quit but after i moved her she went back and sat in the original place that I removed her and the eggs from. I have put them back under her and now she is sitting on them again but Im worried that the cooler temperatures and then being left a whole day must have destroyed them as we are now up to 28 days :( will she sooner or later just push them aside or should i perhaps kick her off the nest.,

I feel like I’m in the same situation sunnylee.Day 20 was yesterday and 2 of ours hatched and today I’ve found her walking around with the 2 chicks and not sitting on the other eggs.If she has been off her nest for a few hrs does this mean the others would have died inside the egg due to not being kept warm?or is a few hrs ok?Ive put her back on and she’s sitting again.But she could have been off them for up to 5hrs?

Back
Top Bottom