Hen badly injured

View attachment 2028597 Here’s an update;
She’s eating, drinking and demanding to go outside so here are the besties out in the yard together. And she’s hand feeding her some fresh cantaloupe and cucumber seeds.
I still keep her wounds moistened with ointment everyday. She has no smell now. Her eyes are doing good and opening.
Our other hen is also great, as well.
Wonderful!
I'm glad that she is doing so much better!
Isn't that just a sweet photo! Good job on both your parts for taking care of her and not giving up.
Thank you for the update, I look forward to more:)

5DC98F78-DCE9-4117-AD27-8F6F8CAB77AE.jpeg

And here’s Heddy, she’s on my lap while I work with my 4 year old with the alphabet.

Wonderful!
I'm glad that she is doing so much better!
Isn't that just a sweet photo! Good job on both your parts for taking care of her and not giving up.
Thank you for the update, I look forward to more:)

She’s doing great. She demanded to go outside and down to the ground where she can be on the dirt.

Oh. My. Goodness. You have made my day. What an amazing child. It is such a highlight in life when you can watch a child fall so naturally into their Calling.
I’m so relieved those hens are well. It isn’t always an easy feat to nurse a chicken back to health... to that end, look at your sweet girl do her thing!!!
Last, speaking of recognition, Yes, that sweet baby of yours is deserving of a million pats on the back- hell, birds are my thing- especially chickens- so if I could, I throw a parade for the sweet little child! But there is also someone equally as deserving of recognition- clearly that’s you. You are responsible for raising a child with a heart like this. You facilitate her being able to do this. So, today, stop for a moment, look at that child caring for that helpless, injured bird. Really let that picture in your heart. Now, put aside your humility... YOU did THAT. This is part of YOUR contribution to this life.
How does THAT feel? Humbling, isn’t it? I may not know you. It is highly unlikely we’ll ever meet, nonetheless, I’m incredibly proud of you and that girl of yours. This story has brightened my day. How cool is all that?

Awww 🥰 Thank you!
It was just alittle over week ago that I was holding on to Rebel and crying cause I thought she was dying. But she’s recovering and showing us that can still fly (which she did today when we took her out to get some fresh air! 😀) and be crazy ol’ Rebel with Makayla (my daughter)

2 1/2 week UPDATE:

Rebel is doing great!
She’s eating a lot and when I say a lot I mean ALOT! She finishes a cup of chicken feed (not mash), an egg and a cup of wet cucumber seeds or carrots cut really small and she’s able to even finish a handful of cracked corn.
She does not stink anymore. Amoxicillin cleared up whatever infection she had.
As of late, I’ve been taking paper towels and able to grab some of her feathers to squeeze out some excess ointment from the antibiotic ointment.
Although some of her feathers on the side of her neck have been falling off, I put a light coat of A&D ointment so soothe the dryness.
Rebel’s back to being Rebel to say the least. Our rebellious little pipsqueak, flying on tables and causing a ruckus when she doesn’t get her way.

Here are some pictures of her recovery.

Attachments

• 9DE2D2F1-D24C-4814-B27A-124224EF705A.jpeg
    9DE2D2F1-D24C-4814-B27A-124224EF705A.jpeg
    561.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 8153F79D-0FF3-49DE-879D-FF459B89DF59.jpeg
    8153F79D-0FF3-49DE-879D-FF459B89DF59.jpeg
    668.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 3BE9294E-3381-4DC4-A40C-894F625FE2CF.jpeg
    3BE9294E-3381-4DC4-A40C-894F625FE2CF.jpeg
    656.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 4501878B-6D08-4D5A-B324-DD729C9B7D47.jpeg
    4501878B-6D08-4D5A-B324-DD729C9B7D47.jpeg
    452.9 KB · Views: 10
Rather than oatmeal, which is not good as a primary feed, mix her usual feed into some warm water and make it into an oatmeal consistancy. Then add water to it throught the day to rehydrate it. Change it daily. The longer pus stays in the eye, it may become harder to get out, as pus tends to solidify.

Since there is a bad odor, the wounds should be cleaned with a disinfectant, such as chlorhexidene, betadine, or similar. Even antibacterial soap and water would work. Clean it twice a day. Hopefully, the infection will clear up.

Just by touching her neck she bleeds but I know what I got to do, I have to clean her wounds well.
And keep her wounds moisturized with ointment.
Thank you for the advice!
I will clean her now. I have to go to work soon.

Hi everyone 😀
So today I did it! I squeezed that infection out of her eye before I went to work, it looks like she still has some in there but it wouldn’t come out so I’ll try again tomorrow.
And I’ll also be going to take out more feathers around the wounds and try to scrape off gray rotten looking (and stinky) skin.
Any advice how to do it without too much pain?

She also ate a lot more today. She even pooped!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom