Hen badly injured

Pics
What does she look like?
OK If you are seeing visible pus in the eye, that needs to be removed. Even though you are giving antibiotics, chicken pus is usually a semi-hard cheesy material and has to be physically removed, it won't dry up on it's own.
A warm compress may help you get the eye open. Gently swaddling her in a towel may also help you control her better too. Do the best you can to work on getting the pus out - that may be the source of the odor. Flush well and apply your ointment. You may need to remove more pus as it comes.

As for the steel cut oats, I don't think they would make a chickens stomach explode. Food goes into the crop first, then to the "stomach" proventriculous, then to the gizzard where food is ground up (this is why chickens use grit fro processing) then of course it goes into the intestines, etc. But cooked oats may be better since she's not well and struggling. My birds aren't that big a fan of hard boiled eggs unless it's just the yolk, they prefer theirs scrambled LOL Melon and strawberries sound good. I've never given pineapple, but it won't hurt her. https://poultry.extension.org/articles/poultry-anatomy/avian-digestive-system/
This pullet has an eye infection from respiratory disease, but the process of removing pus due to infection is the same.

Thank you for the video.
It looks scary to do but I will swallow my gut and do it.
As for the oatmeal, I will wait.
Thank you!

Rather than oatmeal, which is not good as a primary feed, mix her usual feed into some warm water and make it into an oatmeal consistancy. Then add water to it throught the day to rehydrate it. Change it daily. The longer pus stays in the eye, it may become harder to get out, as pus tends to solidify.

Since there is a bad odor, the wounds should be cleaned with a disinfectant, such as chlorhexidene, betadine, or similar. Even antibacterial soap and water would work. Clean it twice a day. Hopefully, the infection will clear up.

Just by touching her neck she bleeds but I know what I got to do, I have to clean her wounds well.
And keep her wounds moisturized with ointment.
Thank you for the advice!
I will clean her now. I have to go to work soon.

Try silvadene cream for the neck wound. It keeps things moist, fights infection and works very well for wounds healing by second intention (for example when you can suture closed, etc.). The creamy consistency always worked better than a neosporin type of greasy ointment and we used it often in veterinary setting with livestock injuries. Telfa pads (the brand name works better than knock offs) work well to cover when needed and not have the dressing stick to the wound. Colloidal silver gel is also helpful (many health food stores carry it) at any point and can be used when scarring starts and the wound is not so raw and needing the silvadene cream. Fingers crossed she recovers well for you.

Hi everyone 😀
So today I did it! I squeezed that infection out of her eye before I went to work, it looks like she still has some in there but it wouldn’t come out so I’ll try again tomorrow.
And I’ll also be going to take out more feathers around the wounds and try to scrape off gray rotten looking (and stinky) skin.
Any advice how to do it without too much pain?

She also ate a lot more today. She even pooped!

Last edited:
Try silvadene cream for the neck wound. It keeps things moist, fights infection and works very well for wounds healing by second intention (for example when you can suture closed, etc.). The creamy consistency always worked better than a neosporin type of greasy ointment and we used it often in veterinary setting with livestock injuries. Telfa pads (the brand name works better than knock offs) work well to cover when needed and not have the dressing stick to the wound. Colloidal silver gel is also helpful (many health food stores carry it) at any point and can be used when scarring starts and the wound is not so raw and needing the silvadene cream. Fingers crossed she recovers well for you.

I haven’t seen silvadene cream in our local Walmart or any stores.
I have a small packet of silvex though. That’s what I first used on her but I read I’m not supposed to use that on chickens too many times because it’ll cause some kind of build up.
We have colloidal silver but not in cream form.
Can I let her drink some of it?

Hi everyone 😀
So today I did it! I squeezed that infection out of her eye before I went to work, it looks like she still has some in there but it wouldn’t come out so I’ll try again tomorrow.
And I’ll also be going to take out more feathers around the wounds and try to scrape off gray rotten looking (and stinky) skin.
Any advice how to do it without too much pain?

She also ate a lot more today. She even pooped!
Wonderful! I'm glad you were able to get most of the pus out of her eye! You may have to work on it for several more days too (getting more pus out) just keep flushing, remove and apply your ointment.

Did you overlay the skin that was loose - is that what the problem is? Can you get some more photos?
@Eggcessive has experience with debriding wounds, she may want to chime back in. The stinky skin does need to be cleaned. I don't know of a way that would be not painful.

Back
Top Bottom