Hen became a mom, First time having chicks, any tips?

Give water with electrolytes. (There are recipies if you search). Give only chick feed not scratch or layer feed.
I believe you already provided a safe place? Provide a run/area to walk around too.
So sorry for your losses. Hope the last two will survive. :hugs

Give water with electrolytes. (There are recipies if you search). Give only chick feed not scratch or layer feed.
I believe you already provided a safe place? Provide a run/area to walk around too.
So sorry for your losses. Hope the last two will survive. :hugs
One is doing wonderful, Hes chirping and mom keeps calling him back over to her because he likes digging stuff in the hay, His sibling is very weak though and it seems like the mom is not taking care of him

One is doing wonderful, Hes chirping and mom keeps calling him back over to her because he likes digging stuff in the hay, His sibling is very weak though and it seems like the mom is not taking care of him
She has given up probably. She will take care again if the weak chick can come along again.
I would take her inside and give drops of elektrolyt water (with little honey, apple cider vinegar pinch of salt) . Keep the chick warm against your body with a cloth over it.

In the evening when mama goes to sleep with the other chick, you can put thd chick under the hen.

Just a theory: the mother got so stressed from the attack and the rooster wanting to mate that she didnt behave like a good hen should after the event. 😔

Because of what happened I wonder how your situation is? How many hens? Just one rooster? How much space inside and outside? Do you have a safe coop and covered run, safe for chicks now? Share ducks and chickens a garden when they free range?. Is there a drake (this can be dangerous for hens).

Most of us go through a learning curve with chickens before we figured it all out. I had deaths too in the first year and with my first hatch (rats). Its always good to share and ask advice to create a better situation for chicks/ poultry in the future. Reading others experiences /articles helps a lot too.

Just a theory: the mother got so stressed from the attack and the rooster wanting to mate that she didnt behave like a good hen should after the event. 😔

Because of what happened I wonder how your situation is? How many hens? Just one rooster? How much space inside and outside? Do you have a safe coop and covered run, safe for chicks now? Share ducks and chickens a garden when they free range?. Is there a drake (this can be dangerous for hens).

Most of us go through a learning curve with chickens before we figured it all out. I had deaths too in the first year and with my first hatch (rats). Its always good to share and ask advice to create a better situation for chicks/ poultry in the future. Reading others experiences /articles helps a lot too.
I have a lot of space and there is no drakes, Just one Plymouth barred rock rooster and there's plenty of room inside and out. Theres a bunch of greens growing and such, they all eat it (Leaves, Flowers, etc etc) its not a main filler for them, I still feed them actual food

If the chicks are eating anything other than chick starter, do they have access to baby chick grit? They need this for digestion. It's the only thing I can think of to suggest that might help.

If the chicks are eating anything other than chick starter, do they have access to baby chick grit? They need this for digestion. It's the only thing I can think of to suggest that might help.
They are eating baby chick grit, I think they are just dying to the cold and mama might not be supplying any warmth to the babies except for one.

They are eating baby chick grit, I think they are just dying to the cold and mama might not be supplying any warmth to the babies except for one.
And chick feed is the main menu?

If the chick is cold…> get the baby inside with a warmth lamp/ blanket or whatever you have or can borrow. Be the mamma until the chick is strong enough to walk and eat by itself.

Still wondering how many hens you have beside the broody/momma. A good rooster does not try to mate a mother hen, or assault chicks. but he needs other hens especially when he is stil young. Good you separated them.

Back
Top Bottom