strawberricatt

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 4, 2016
I have a hen named Lacy who has been attacked by something. I went into the room where we store feed/hay and milk the goat(and where my rebel chickens, who refuse to live in the main coop no matter how hard I try... roost) I saw blood over the place where they roost, and a trail to where the hens fly from up to the roosts. I looked around for a bit, and then saw that my wyandotte x hamburg (something?) hen Lacy had her comb gored. She has a rose comb so it wasn't very noticeable at first.

She's three(maybe four?) years old and lays well during all seasons except Winter. She was hatched with fat middle toes on both feet with really skinny side toes. There have been hawks around today, so maybe? I also have a rooster named Reggie, but I doubt he would be that rough with any of my girls... It could also be the puppy, Ted, he hasn't quite learned his manners yet, and quite enjoys chasing chickens :/

There is no signs of puncture wounds on her, at first when I bought her inside she had a bloody mouth, but now she only has a small drop of blood on the back of her throat.

How can I help her and what is wrong with her? Why would a predator attack her comb of all things? She is in a box at the moment, with hay in it, I'm letting her recover from shock before she eats or drinks. She is a very sweet hen, so I hope she'll be okay.

Poor thing. Can you post a photo? If you haven’t found any other wounds after a thorough search, I suspect she will be fine after she calms down. Is there any place she could have injured her own comb? Did the blood on her mouth come FROM her mouth or could it have dripped down from her comb? If it was indeed a predator, the predator will be back. Is the storage room secure? Sounds like this happened during the day? Day attack from above could be hawk, but seems like there would be more damage. Combs are the first place my girls aim for when they’re pecking each other, so could be that, too.

Poor thing. Can you post a photo? If you haven’t found any other wounds after a thorough search, I suspect she will be fine after she calms down. Is there any place she could have injured her own comb? Did the blood on her mouth come FROM her mouth or could it have dropped down from her comb? If it was indeed a predator, the predator will be back. Is the storage room secure? Sounds like this happened during the day? Day attack from above could be hawk, but seems like there would be more damage. Combs are the first place my girls aim for when they’re pecking each other, so could be that, too.
Exactly good post.

Here's a few pics, sorry for low quality, it's late at night here, and my computer cam isn't the best :(
upload_2018-7-16_18-25-18.png

upload_2018-7-16_18-25-49.png

upload_2018-7-16_18-26-9.png

upload_2018-7-16_18-27-30.png

Back
Top Bottom