Hen came in contact with industrial cleaner fumes! What do I look out for?? Please help

Hensii

Chirping
Dec 29, 2021
Bahrain-Middle East
For some context, my blind hen (5.5 yrs) mostly stays indoors in this wide room without a door which also has an adjoined bathroom. Today some people came to clean said bathroom and used industrial cleaners. I thought they came to fix the pipe so wasn't worried and thought my mother would take care of it. I've told her previously to never let any chemicals near my bird and she's agreed but told me I was being too paranoid.

I went downstairs worried just in case and immediately moved her to an adjoining hall after seeing the open chemicals. My mother told me she was in the room for an half hour and they did eventually turn on the fan and airfan in the room and bathroom and kept the windows open while they cleaned. It's still open and well ventilated. I don't smell much of the acid there.

She hasn't shown any signs so far. I'm moving her upstairs in a couple hours.

If anyone wants to know the chemicals were harpic and ProMax industrial cleaner. The bottles were left open too.

Im really worried rn and can't concentrate on studying for my exams on Saturday. How will I know if and when she will be ok?

Im really worried rn and can't concentrate on studying for my exams on Saturday. How will I know if and when she will be ok?

If the hen has not already died or shown any symptoms, and you have moved her to a different room, then there is a good chance she will be fine.

Good luck on your exams!

I just tried to look up the chemical cleaning agent, and it seems it is an Australia company. Here in the USA, they have MSDS sheets that would explain how to treat an exposure. But in my humble opinion, fresh air is the most useful cure for accidental chemical exposure. Now for my disclaimer, ”in humans”. I’m not a vet, but I’d bet if your girl is acting fine, I’m thinking you rest easy she is okay. 🙏🙏 Good luck with your exams!

I just tried to look up the chemical cleaning agent, and it seems it is an Australia company. Here in the USA, they have MSDS sheets that would explain how to treat an exposure. But in my humble opinion, fresh air is the most useful cure for accidental chemical exposure. Now for my disclaimer, ”in humans”. I’m not a vet, but I’d bet if your girl is acting fine, I’m thinking you rest easy she is okay. 🙏🙏 Good luck with your exams!
Thank you so much!! That makes me feel better

If she has problems it will probably show up as respiratory distress, (coughing, panting). Not a vet either but, keep giving her fresh air. I'm not sure there is anything else you can do.
Good luck with chickens and your test.

Back
Top Bottom