Hen Continuously Lays Thing Shelled Eggs — Tips on dealing with it?

It depends on the hen. I've had hens just eat it right out of my hand.
I've crushed it and mixed it with a small amount of yogurt and feed it that way.
I've also had to restrain hens, pull down on the wattles and pop the tablet in the beak. They'll swallow it.
I had to hold her wattles and put it in her mouth. She took it out of my hand first but kind of held it there before “chewing” on it a little bit and spitting it out. My 1yr niece also threw an egg from the one nesting box she could reach out of the coop door, so Copper got the eggshell from that too.

Copper’s acting like her old bossy self again, so hopefully this will help prevent anymore problems.

Oh my bad, I didn't realize they were breaking inside of her. That's totally different. I agree, try the calcium tablets. They seem to be little miracles in a jar
Yeah, the majority of the time she lays them with no issues, but Monday one did bust inside her and she’s had it happen a few other times. I don’t want it to happen at all, honestly. She almost prolapsed Monday, because I was at work all day and my parents really don’t pay attention to the chickens, so nobody noticed that something was wrong with her. I had to go look for her after I got home because she never made it back into the coop at bedtime.

I'd use the 600 mg.
I'd you can find calcium citrate, I'd use that over calcium carbonate but CaCO3 will work.
What is the advantage of citrate over carbonate? I have tablet calcium citrate with D3, also have flavored Tums (carbonate with flavors and dextrose). Today I crushed a Tums in a mortar and mixed with a bit of mash for the hen I've figured out is laying soft shells. They take mash balls from my hand. But I would switch to the citrate form if that's better.

What is the advantage of citrate over carbonate? I have tablet calcium citrate with D3, also have flavored Tums (carbonate with flavors and dextrose). Today I crushed a Tums in a mortar and mixed with a bit of mash for the hen I've figured out is laying soft shells. They take mash balls from my hand. But I would switch to the citrate form if that's better.
The citrate form is more bioavailable. The carbonate form can also be utilized but at a lower rate. Some birds process the citrate form more readily.

The citrate form is more bioavailable. The carbonate form can also be utilized but at a lower rate. Some birds process the citrate form more readily.
Interesting, similar to humans then. I find the citrate form more digestible for me, that's why I have it on hand. Will switch to that. Thanks! The D3 is fine for them too?

..and she did swallow it?
Did you get the calcium with VitD3?
You'll want to give her one a day until her eggs firm up.
Yeah, she swallowed it but she definitely wasn’t happy about it. She’s one of my more bossy hens and she started doing that low ‘growl’ at me to let me know she wasn’t happy with me, lol.

And what I got does have the D3, which I assume makes it better for them to absorb?

Back
Top Bottom