Hen had one of those weird egg tails hanging off her butt after acting lethargic

Rhyara

Chirping
Sep 22, 2022
Mn
Really hoping this is just a glitch in the system and not a cracked egg inside her, I'm not sure where to get her antibiotics (no vet in the area I could find that would treat a chicken)

Yesterday afternoon she started acting lethargic and barely moving, we decided to check her crop first thing in the morning and found this hanging from her (she does have a bit of a crop this morning)
20230304_071845.jpg

She laid a good egg yesterday, but I did notice on the coop cam that she spent 20 minutes before bed in a nesting box (there was nothing there when I checked last night).

Do we need to take her in and give her a soak? Feel around inside for an egg or pieces of one? No evidence of a yolk or anything yet, just the weird tail with a bit of egg white.

All of her eggs have been normal since she started laying a couple months ago, she's 9m old. No illnesses until this either.

Just saw a comment in another thread about ordering amoxicillin on kvsupply, immediately ordered that but it has 1-3 days for processing, paid for the fastest shipping which is another 2-6 days and I fear that won't be fast enough...

Also read about giving tums once a day to up her Calcium, they do have open access to grit and shells.

She seems to be back to normal. Has laid a couple regular eggs again. Keeping an eye on her just in case, but she's back with her flock; she was getting a bit stir-crazy in the house and I didn't want that stress messing with her either.
Great, glad to hear. Thanks for the update.

Back
Top Bottom