broodyhenfarms

Hatching
Jun 13, 2021
Hello,
We we were checking in on our hens yesterday, and noticed this gash/abscess/sore on our lovely lady.
There was never any evidence of blood, so I suspect it comes from the inside out but am not entirely sure how to proceed.

She does not appear to be in any pain and is exhibiting no other signs of illness.

We have brought her inside, and have not put anything on the wound yet. She is still laying, eating, and drinking.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• CA108A52-994F-40D0-99B4-F4805CBDA919.jpeg
    CA108A52-994F-40D0-99B4-F4805CBDA919.jpeg
    663.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 81BAB401-E91E-4282-9506-7C9652D8D678.jpeg
    81BAB401-E91E-4282-9506-7C9652D8D678.jpeg
    471.6 KB · Views: 11
Poor girl. Do you have a rooster?
If it's healing and doesn't smell infected, I'd leave her alone and just check on it every night or so to make sure it's still doing okay.
Yep, we’ve got more than one roo…I know that chickens are pretty good healers and I’m hesitant to mess with it, so we’ll see.

Yep, we’ve got more than one roo…I know that chickens are pretty good healers and I’m hesitant to mess with it, so we’ll see.
All roosters need their spurs dulled by trimming the tips off. If you have too many males for the number of females, you need to reduce the number of boys.
I would inspect the rest of the hens for similar damage.

Last edited:
All roosters need their spurs dulled by trimming the tips off. If you have to many males for the number of females, you need to reduce the number of boys.
I would inspect the rest of the hens for similar damage.
We keep an eye on this action and have them separated into different groups…chicken math, blah blah, trim spurs yep. Hens are priority #1. We never saw any blood with this, so that’s why I’m thinking it wasn’t from a spur.

Back
Top Bottom