Hen has bumblefoot but I can't find a core

MissLavender

Songster
5 Years
Sep 21, 2018
Clarkdale, Arizona
So, I just did dual bumblefoot surgery on one of my hens. She's a VERY LARGE Dixie Rainbow that is kinda lazy and never did move around much to begin with. She had big, brown scabs on both feet. No swelling, and no lameness whatsoever. One of the scabs cracked open and was bleeding a LOT, which is when I noticed something was wrong. I normally check all of my hens over at least once every couple of weeks, but I went on a 2 week vacation, so of course something like this would happen while I'm gone. :barnieI was so busy the week before and after vacation that I didn't even get a chance to check them other than to feed, water, clean and collect eggs.
But anyway, I did my first ever bumblefoot surgery and I'm not sure how it went...when I cut around the scab and pulled it off there was A LOT of bleeding, and I do mean A LOT. It was bad enough that I had to tourniquet her leg to keep her from bleeding out, and I didn't cut that deep...maybe 1/4 inch at most? I didn't even see a core, just pinkish-white flesh that bled profusely unless the leg was tied off. The bleeding only stopped after I dried off the feet and stopped messing with them, at which point I put Neosporin in the wounds, covered with gauze and wrapped the foot with vetwrap. I don't know what else to do...I feel like the worst chicken Mom ever.:hit Any help or tips you all may have would be greatly appreciated!

Your Dixie Rainbow by her description are fast growers and they grow big, much like a meat bird and I've heard Dixie Rainbow's are very good layers. This could account for her "laziness" due to her bones not able to support the weight causing her to sit all the time, or her feet are too sore to walk, or both.

Normally with bumblefoot there's redness and swelling on the footpad, sometimes limping as well. I've seen instances where there was a telltale scab without the redness and swelling and when I performed minor surgery, there wasnt any infection at all. I did the surgery for nothing, except stressing the bird. Without the redness and swelling, there's no need to do the surgery, the scab will disappear on its own eventually.

I suspect your hen has Footpad Dermatitis (FPD,) not bumblefoot.
Here's a link for you to read about FPD:
https://www.farmhealthonline.com/disease-management/poultry-diseases/footpad-dermatitis/

This is what it looks like after removing all of the necrotic tissue
34585.jpeg
34584.jpeg
34584.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom