Hen has sour crop and impacted crop!!! She has lost weight!!!!!

Have you begin miconazole treatment? If not, then you probably should. A chicken can do without food for days, but water needs to be given with a syringe if she refuses to drink. Try grated carrot. Often my crop patients will eat that when all else fails. Soft boiled egg is another thing they will usually eat.
I felt her crop earlier, nothing in there, no squishyness or smell so dont know if she had sour crop or not now. She had some yogurt earlier and crushed garlic mixed with coconut oil. To be honest I really dont know what I should be treating her for😢

Have you begin miconazole treatment? If not, then you probably should. A chicken can do without food for days, but water needs to be given with a syringe if she refuses to drink. Try grated carrot. Often my crop patients will eat that when all else fails. Soft boiled egg is another thing they will usually eat.
Have not started yet, but will today! I'm going to the pharmacy to pick up the miconazole. She has started to poop out some rotten grass from the impaction. Is it safe to give her solid food like grated carrots or soft boiled egg at this point? Or should we stick to yogurt?

This is the problem with trying to hitch a ride on someone else's thread. I was answering the original poster. I answered your post by citing your quote. Your hen appears to have a terminal infection, maybe treatable, probably not. If you want to discuss your hen's issues, it would be best to make your own thread so we all know what we're talking about.
So sorry to confuse everyone, just trying to get to the bottom of what is wrong with her, is it sour crop, is it lash egg, its all just a quessing game and I just want to do the best I can to get her well 😢With only three chickens its hard to lose them😢😢

Hi everyone! Courage is doing considerably better than when we first started treatment. She wears a crop bra to help with her pendulous crop. Whenever we massage her crop we don't feel an impaction... just some grit that she stored away. She's been pooping out lots of dark green stuff, BEFORE they were dark green strands (full strands of grass.) So, we're thinking the dark green mush is digested grass that's just all coming out now. It seems like she's pooping out the impaction bit by bit everyday. She's also very energetic now. Before when we were trying to feed her or give her water, she didn't put up a fight. Now she's full on squawking and slapping us with anger because she wants to eat her chicken feed. :lol: We're also still treating the sour crop with the vaginal cream as well. BUT that comes to my next question: if the impaction is coming out, and there's NOTHING hard in her crop, is it okay to start giving her chicken feed again??

So glad to hear she is getting better, when they start putting up a fight you know things are starting to go well but keep an eye on that crop regularly, I lost one of my girls last year thinking once she was over it it was fine.
How is your current girl doing? Did you find out what's wrong with her?

Oh also at this stage do you guys think it would be okay to give her grit? She hasn't eaten any in a few days because I was under the assumption no solid food meant also NO solid grit. lol

I'm sorry that you and your girl are experiencing the same problems. 😔 But stay strong and keep hope!!!!!! ✊🤗 Keep up the oil massages, try a stool softener like they (the article posted above) said, try yeast infection medication. We owe it to our girls to keep trying!!!
When one of mine had an impacted crop, the oil didn’t help at all!! I tubbed 30 cc’s of warm water, then massaged to break it up. After trying oil for 4 days without results, the warm water only took two treatments and it was gone. Being full of water might have been her way to flush her crop. Did her crop contents stink?

When one of mine had an impacted crop, the oil didn’t help at all!! I tubbed 30 cc’s of warm water, then massaged to break it up. After trying oil for 4 days without results, the warm water only took two treatments and it was gone. Being full of water might have been her way to flush her crop. Did her crop contents stink?
TBH, I couldn't tell if the oil helped our hen either. The logic made sense to lubricate the crop and it'll help things move through. But we think the massaging helped more than anything. I'll see if she'll be interested in warm water! Also yes her crop contents stink really bad. The first time she up-chucked on my roommate it was the worst according to him (glad I wasn't there to smell it!) And yesterday she spat a little and even THAT was bad!!! It smells insanely bad, like nothing I've ever smelled before. :lol:

Hi guys, do you think it's okay to treat the yeast infection (sour crop) with ONLY Miconazole? I'm seeing other articles suggest using anti-fungal medicine too.

Back
Top Bottom