Hen having struggle prior to & after worming. I

bwally

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2022
Any suggestions? I am concerned about feeding her. We have given her electrolytes/water orally. We gave her antibiotics due to wheezing cough. Over past several days she has improved a little but very concerned about her eating.

How did you give the wormer, and did she accidentally aspirate or get some of it down her airway? Did she have respiratory symptoms before the worming? Try offering a small bowl of feed and make it watery. A bit of plain yogurt or scrambled egg bits in it may entice her to eat.

Any suggestions? I am concerned about feeding her. We have given her electrolytes/water orally. We gave her antibiotics due to wheezing cough. Over past several days she has improved a little but very concerned about her eating.
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your hen isn't well.

Why did you worm her and what did you use?

How does her crop feel? Is it squishy, flat, or hard? Any smell coming from the beak?

What is her normal feed routine and her age? Has she ever molted yet and if so when/how long ago?

Antibiotics are for bacteria but it may not help anything viral. Avian influenza has hit several areas of the US recently, where are you located and how long has she been wheezing? What and how much antibiotic did you use?

What do her droppings look like? When was the last time she laid an egg? Do you know her breed?

So so many questions.. just looking for clues to help you get answers! :fl

How did you give the wormer, and did she accidentally aspirate or get some of it down her airway? Did she have respiratory symptoms before the worming? Try offering a small bowl of feed and make it watery. A bit of plain yogurt or scrambled egg bits in it may entice her to eat.
We put the wormer in the water. Yes we noticed a croakie cough in some of the hens. We have 9 hens and along with putting wormer in the water, we gave each hen 1/2cc of injectable LA 300 per advice from feed store. I did give the 2 sickest hens some pedialyte orally for several days. Thankfully, in spite of our excessive heat/humidity, all the hens seem to be much better this AM. Thank you for advice.

What wormer did you use? Most of them do not mix in water, they settle out.
Doubtful that the wormer caused your respiratory symptoms, but if you intended to worm them, then the mix in the water may not have done that.

What wormer did you use? Most of them do not mix in water, they settle out.
Doubtful that the wormer caused your respiratory symptoms, but if you intended to worm them, then the mix in the water may not have done that.
It was liquid wormer recommended by our local feed store called Wormeze & mixed with water per label instructions

I still think you under dosed. It contains peperazine, which is effective for roundworm only.
This thread has a couple of people (whom I trust) doing the math to figure out the dose.
Their conclusion is that you need to use nearly the entire bottle of this per gallon of water to get the dose correct.
See posts #13 - #19 here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/round-worm-treatment.1330969/page-2
If you want to use it, I would recommend doing as they suggest and mixing 1/2 the bottle in 1/2 gallon of water, and then redose the same way with the 2nd half of the bottle in 10-14 days. That will treat for roundworm only.
I still think you would be better off with Safeguard (fenbendazole) and dose them 5 days in a row. That will take care of all the common parasites except tapeworm. The dose is .23 ml per pound of bird weight, orally. You can get oral syringes at many feed stores, tractor supply stores, or any pharmacy, just ask.

Back
Top Bottom