Hen in pain, stinky watery discharge from vent

Skooterjenn

Hatching
Nov 21, 2020
Update: She passed šŸ˜”

Buff Orphington, 6 1/2 months old, I donā€™t think she has laid an egg yet. Today she was lethargic, vent was large and open, looked red inside, stinky watery discharge leaking out. She seems to be trying to push something out every so often and thatā€™s when she will kind of moan/whine like sheā€™s in pain, and the discharge will leak out. She will also yell out every once in a while. I put on a glove and used Vaseline to check for a bound egg but felt nothing. The feathers around and under the vent are wet from the discharge which is a clear tan color and smells extremely bad. She feels thin to me. Iā€™ve been giving DE in the food which is Purina mixed flock crumbles, fresh water and a separate water with ACV w/the mother in it, they have access to fresh oregano growing near the run. Sometimes i crush garlic into the ACV water as well.
I removed her from the coop tonight. She is in a dog carrier with a blanket over it, in the garage with a space heater nearby for warmth. I live in southern Nevada so temps are not too cold now but i want to make sure she stays warm but not too warm. Just right.
I donā€™t know what else to do for her. Anyone know what could be wrong?

Attachments

• 013A98C6-8EEB-4AFF-A420-C8B5122A2044.jpeg
    013A98C6-8EEB-4AFF-A420-C8B5122A2044.jpeg
    343.3 KB · Views: 8
  • F318AB87-B7F7-4AAD-B775-35BEEB5B7834.jpeg
    F318AB87-B7F7-4AAD-B775-35BEEB5B7834.jpeg
    475.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Buff Orphington, 6 1/2 months old, I donā€™t think she has laid an egg yet. Today she was lethargic, vent was large and open, looked red inside, stinky watery discharge leaking out. She seems to be trying to push something out every so often and thatā€™s when she will kind of moan/whine like sheā€™s in pain, and the discharge will leak out. She will also yell out every once in a while. I put on a glove and used Vaseline to check for a bound egg but felt nothing. The feathers around and under the vent are wet from the discharge which is a clear tan color and smells extremely bad. She feels thin to me. Iā€™ve been giving DE in the food which is Purina mixed flock crumbles, fresh water and a separate water with ACV w/the mother in it, they have access to fresh oregano growing near the run. Sometimes i crush garlic into the ACV water as well.
I removed her from the coop tonight. She is in a dog carrier with a blanket over it, in the garage with a space heater nearby for warmth. I live in southern Nevada so temps are not too cold now but i want to make sure she stays warm but not too warm. Just right.
I donā€™t know what else to do for her. Anyone know what could be wrong?
Welcome To BYC!
Sorry that your pullet is not well.
Is she able to poop at all?

I would give her plain water or some water with vitamins/electrolytes and some extra calcium (1/2 Caltrate or Tums). Ditch the ACV in the water for now.
Once she's drinking, then I would offer he a bit of wet feed.
What is the DE in the food for?
What's her crop like?

If you aren't feeling an egg, what does her abdomen below the vent between the legs feel like? Any bloat or fluid?

Hard to know what's going on with her if she's trying to expel a soft shelled egg, is constipated/has a blockage or something else.

Let us know how she's doing.

@Wyorp Rock has good advice. It looks a bit like she has been pecked around her vent by other chickens. Sometimes they can have a temporary prolapse and that red tissue sticking out can attract pecking. You could soak her in a very shallow warm soapy bath to clean her up, but only do that if you cannbring her inside and blow her dry. I would also give her a spoonful of plain unsweetened yogurt daily for some probiotics.

Back
Top Bottom