You did a fantastic job cleaning her up. If you take her to a vet find a avian vet. I’d ask first if they’d treat a chicken. So many small animal vets just don’t see them as patients. I think that would be a wonderful idea. You’d probably get a Rx for antibiotics.
:thumbsup
You really did do a great job with her wound. Keep it moist and let the air begin to dry it.

What type of bedding is on? Does she have any hissing noises around her wound? Is there anything that could be affecting her breathing? Chickens have air sacs located throughout the body, and sometimes one may be punctured. How full is her crop? Could she have a full or puffy crop, where she might be regurgitating liquid back up into her throat. Make sure that her nostrils are clean and open. Are there any nasal or eye secretions? It is great that you can see a vet. Let us know what you learn.
We took her to the vet and she’s already sounding so much better!

1D36774B-6E77-45B0-BF79-9D427CF51F97.jpeg

Winnie got all stitched up and she is eating and drinking. She will be getting a more controlled indoor environment for the next couple weeks. Thank you community for your help, I will keep you posted! :love

Yeah, a good vet is always ideal in these situations. Some people don't have access to decent poultry vets, but if they do, it's the best thing to do.
Hope she does well! Once the stitches come out and can't be rubbed on, you might want to put a little saddle on her to protect things when she goes back out.

Back
Top Bottom