Hen Interrupted Laying

Stephoney

Songster
Apr 7, 2021
I opened a coop today to clean it and found my salmon faverolles, Phyllis, laying in the nesting area. I quickly apologized and closed the door. Normally, she would have just ignored me and kept laying, but for some reason she came out a minute later and started to squawk like she’d laid her egg. I checked the coop- no egg. I figured she’d be back and maybe I’d just spooked her. She did come back and got out again not too long later squawking once more. I checked- no egg. She behaves normal- eating, drinking, walking around, etc. She eats a lot of calcium via oyster shell, crushed egg shells and layer feed so I’m certain this isn’t this issue. It literally seems like I’ve interrupted her and now she can’t finish. I picked her up to check for an egg and I can feel one not too far from off from her vent. It’s close to 6 pm now (the sun sets around 8:15). Phyl is an odd bird amongst my mixed flock, and the lowest in the pecking order. She’s flighty and anxious. I love her to pieces, but I don’t know how she’d handle me trying to give her an epsom salt bath.

1. Should I be worried that she hasn’t laid the egg?
2. Should I intervene or just watch her?
3. Can a hen “overnight” an egg and lay it early the next morning while another egg is in production?

Attachments

• 0AD0F52F-97AC-467F-8DEE-CA53AF2FBA9B.jpeg
    0AD0F52F-97AC-467F-8DEE-CA53AF2FBA9B.jpeg
    381.6 KB · Views: 28
Hello Again- I picked Phyl up about a half hour ago and couldn’t feel the egg any longer which led me on a long walk around the property looking for her small blush colored egg :) No luck, but that’s fine. I’m just glad she isn’t egg bound. Thank you for all of your responses. I really appreciate you willingness to help. It’s such a relief to know that there is a place to ask people who understand and have experience.

Back
Top Bottom