Hen is 'Fertilized' by Three Different Breed Roosters Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mtnviewfarms, Nov 26, 2012.

1. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

I just saw one of my Australorp hens 'serially' mated by my BR, Welsummer and EE Roos.

I am wondering if I incubate her eggs from the next 10 days will I likely get chicks that have been fathered by all three breeds of Roo?

Thanks for any info you 'more experienced' chicken fanciers may be able to give me with this question.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Only 1 roo will be the father of each chick hatched but each chick could have a different father.
    You won't know who unless each father looks dramatically different and see those characteristics in the offspring.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

That

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Also, you won't know which for up to a month of egg collecting.

5. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you for the info. That's exactly what I wanted to know, i.e., the chicks can be from different fathers and yes, I would be able to tell as each of the Roos is a very different looking breed.

6. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah

Unless mom has very dominant breed characteristics. Last time I hatched chicks, moms were very very different, but dad was a BCM, and all of the babies popped out looking exactly like dad, except one had a rose comb like his mom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by