Hen is lethargic and won’t eat,what do I do?

Apr 17, 2022
Denmark
I have a 8 month old hen who hasn’t been feeling the best since yesterday, she wouldn’t eat and has been standing with her eyes closed.
Yesterday I fed her some food but I can feel that her crop isn’t empty in the morning,there is just a little food left.

Her poop has some green in it which tells me she hasn’t been eating so I been trying to get some food in her

She isn’t laying yet and is very low in the pecking order and is also very shy

What do I do about her and how do I fix it?

I'm sorry she's not feeling well. You can try feeding her a scrambled egg, yoghurt and nutri-drench or similar to help keep her strength up since she hasn't been eating.
Please provide more info so we can give better advice -
how does the crop feel - squishy with liquid or a hard mass, is there any odor coming from her mouth, what do you normally feed them, have you checked for mites/lice, when was the last time they were wormed, can you provide a poop picture and a picture of the chicken, have you recently introduced any new birds to the flock?

I'm sorry she's not feeling well. You can try feeding her a scrambled egg, yoghurt and nutri-drench or similar to help keep her strength up since she hasn't been eating.
Please provide more info so we can give better advice -
how does the crop feel - squishy with liquid or a hard mass, is there any odor coming from her mouth, what do you normally feed them, have you checked for mites/lice, when was the last time they were wormed, can you provide a poop picture and a picture of the chicken, have you recently introduced any new birds to the flock?
Thank you for the answer.
I will try feeding her some scrambled eggs.
Her crop feels squishy and watery. There isn’t any Oder coming from her.
She eats layer feed with 19% protein. I just treated for mice so she doesn’t have any lice or mites.
She is fairly new to the flock, I added her and her best friend in July and she is on the bottom of the pecking order.
I will try and get a picture of her poop😊

The crop not emptying is usually an indicator of a problem, if there is no sour crop odor but with her lethargic behavior then I am not sure what other issue may be causing this. You said she's 8 months old and not laying yet, most breeds would be laying by now but not all - what breed is she and have you felt her belly for anything out of the ordinary? Do you know if she has been wormed, you may want to get a fecal float test done and consult an avian vet if you have one available.
If you suspect it might be a crop issue this article may help - https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

The crop not emptying is usually an indicator of a problem, if there is no sour crop odor but with her lethargic behavior then I am not sure what other issue may be causing this. You said she's 8 months old and not laying yet, most breeds would be laying by now but not all - what breed is she and have you felt her belly for anything out of the ordinary? Do you know if she has been wormed, you may want to get a fecal float test done and consult an avian vet if you have one available.
If you suspect it might be a crop issue this article may help - https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
She is a marans hen, I have two other marans and both of them started late, they were around 10—12 month’s before they started.
I also can’t feel an egg in her. She isn’t really pooping that much because she doesn’t want to eat but her poop is white,watery with green bits in it😊

She just pooped, her poop is very green
IMG_9301.jpeg

UPDATE: for the past couple of days I have force fed her to make sure she still was eating. It helped a lot and afree the 3 days of feeding her she started eating on her own and she is now ba I with the flock😊

Back
Top Bottom