Wstrength

Hatching
Sep 10, 2023
Hi there! I have had 2 lavender Orpingtons lose use of their legs. 1st about 8-10 weeks old and the second one just happened at about 6 months old. They seem to be a normal healthy bird and over night they will be laying on their sides with their legs out to the side of them. Head is up and alert able to eat and drink but they are not able to stand.

No breaks they have ability to move them and can walk if I stand them up and help keep balance. When they take off running they always end up doing a somersault and end up @$$ over tea kettle.

I’m not sure what is going on here as there are no other signs of illness or injury. The younger bird I was able to keep alive for 3 months. I isolated her in an area food and water was easy to get access too. She just laid sideways on the ground and ate and drank. This older bird only lasted a few days, but I think heat was a factor for her. Conditions here in Texas are less than ideal 🔥.

No other breed of birds have shown symptoms like this, just the 2 💜 Orps.

Where did your birds come from?
Have you heard of Marek's disease?
If you lose another bird, you can refrigerate the body and then send it to our state lab for a necropsy to get an answer as to why your birds are dying.
Our state lab:
https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/tests/necropsy-poultry/
They were shipped in this spring as a batch of 100 from Hoovers Hatchery, I purchased 4 from the lady that bought the batch as day(s) old chicks. They have been in general population with all of my other birds their whole life.

Back
Top Bottom