Hen making weird noises

chickchicklife

Chirping
Mar 18, 2021
I have a silver duckwing OEG bantam hen who has started laying her eggs again and for the past 3 days she has been making the noise that mama hens make when calling their chicks for food, is this normal ?

She took her time coming out of winter break, eh?
Where are you located in the wide world?

She may be broody....or getting there.
Here's my go-to signs of a broody hen:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

I have a 6 yr old hen who has been broody for 2 months now with no sign of stopping. She is only sitting on the fake ceramic egg I keep in the nesting boxes- I don’t have a rooster and check for eggs twice a day. Since she did her time as a layer, I think I will leave her in peace as long as she is happy. I get her off the nest twice a day to poop, eat and drink. The other hens use the other nesting box to lay.
It’s not healthy for a chicken to stay in a nest for such a long time. Better stop her broodiness. She needs exercise and a normal eating pattern.

Take away the fake egg, put her on the roost at night. Close ‘her’ nest box. Do whatever is necessary yo break her broodiness.

Back
Top Bottom