Hen mauled by dog! Is hydrocodone toxic to chickens?

BayouPoules

Songster
10 Years
Aug 13, 2010
Lacombe, Louisiana
My Coop
My Coop
A dog got under our fence and tore up our flock. Our sweetest hen is mauled too badly to try to help her,. I need to get her to someone that can put her down for us. Hubby usually culls our birds but he's in Afghanistan!. I just need to know if I can give her some of this hydrocodone I have here for the dog to ease her pain for now or will it make her feel worse?
Thanks

A dog got under our fence and tore up our flock. Our sweetest hen is mauled too badly to try to help her,. I need to get her to someone that can put her down for us. Hubby usually culls our birds but he's in Afghanistan!. I just need to know if I can give her some of this hydrocodone I have here for the dog to ease her pain for now or will it make her feel worse?
Thanks
Often birds do heal from horrendous wounds. Is it possible to post a picture of her?

Hydrocodone i believe contains acetaminophen(tylenol)i do not have factual information on how safe it is for poultry.

It would probably kill her. A baby aspirin would be good to ease her pain. What are her injuries? Sometimes with good care, they can be helped if there are no internal injuries, but they can die of shock sometimes even without a mark. If you are going to put her down, most would use a sharp knife or hatchet.

Thanks ya'll,.

I didn't answer your posts cuz when I got a better look at her I knew she was done,and wanted to get her taken care of fast... I found a wonderful young vet that took us and agreed,. she was too badly mauled,. he put her down for us... we did give her some of the hydrocodone on some bread and it calmed her a lot for the trip to the vet,. it was liquid so it worked fast,. I figured that I had to try something for her pain.. she was ripped long and deep under her wing,. but she was so sweet and cooing in our arms right to the end.. thanks for answereing the post,. I'm going to ask the vet next time I see him if it's OK for poultry,. I forgot to ask today,. too much going on..

Sorry to hear that she had to be put down. You were fortunate to find a vet on a Saturday.

My sincere condolences on the passing of your girl. You did the right thing by ending her suffering,this is the last act of love we can do for our beloved pets.

Your comment regarding her cooing till the end,brought tears to my eyes.so sad,but at the same time so heartbreakingly precious.

Regarding the hydrocodone,in the case of any animal suffering when there is no hope for recovery,then yes,i would give whatever medication and whatever dosage was needed to relieve their pain.

Several medications ending in caine/cane can be given,but b/c they are toxic if given in the incorrect dose or without veterinary supervision,we say to not use unless prescribed by a vet.

~Mia

Back
Top Bottom