Hen Opening Beak Weirdly

HenGirl805

Chirping
Sep 6, 2017
Western Pennsylvania
I have a hen named Speckles. Yesterday I posted about her airy sounding cluck but it went away. Today she is just opening her beak randomly. She is eating and drinking. Her clucks sound normal, and I really haven't noticed some sort of physical issue. Does this sound bad to you?

This is her... she was eating and then she started doing this again. She wasn't making any noise... should I be concerned????

Attachments

• IMG_3082.jpg
    IMG_3082.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 4
Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry you are having trouble. It definitely sounds NOT good. :(

Only ideas I might have would be gape worm or sinus being swollen causing her to breath through her mouth more often.

Wish I could be more help. Good luck! :fl

Are you able to look inside her beak, like towards her throat? Or swab it?

Gape worm isn't that common, but anything is possible. Here is just 1 link...
https://poultrykeeper.com/respiratory-problems/gapeworm/

My best guess might be something respiratory. But I have zero experience with either. So I'm just using deductive reasoning with what little I do know. :confused:

Also, these things go by fast on the home page.. so consider giving it a bump now and then if you still need more answers.

I replied on your other thread posted today, and I would also recommend looking inside her beak for a piece of food or foreign body, as well as feeling the crop for possible impaction or sour crop. Mold or wet conditions can lead to aspergillosis, a fungal respiratory disease that sometimes affects breathing.

Back
Top Bottom