Hen or Rooster? Barred Rock was supposed to be a hen...

WL67

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 12, 2011
Portland
But she/he is much larger than the other four we have of different breeds but same age. She is very aggressive (and always has been), and is much louder and may have begun a crowing but its early yet so not ready to say its a full on rooster crow. Have to check on that tomorrow AM.
New to this but have two photos uploaded.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/106446_img_1097.jpg[/img]
[i
106446_img_1101.jpg
mg][/img]
106446_img_1097.jpg
g]

We live in the suburbs and can't have a rooster...any suggestions or input would be appreciated!
wink.png

How old is she? I think she has the possibility of being a he. Im not sure if its true, but I read somewhere that Barred Rock Roosters have lighter barring then hens. It seems to be the case with mine, too, so there might be somthing in it. (Ive got one roo and one hen)

The feathers by "her" tail are long and silky. That looks like a Roo. But, "she" has nice dark barring. That looks like a girl.

How old are your chicks?

Thank you...They are about 4 months old. She is 2 to 3 times the size of the other hens. I can post a few more photos if it would help.

My barred rock is so mean, loud, and huge too but the coloring I am told is to dark to be a roo. Roos are much lighter than your chicken.

106446_img_1095.jpg

Here's one more image from behind...are these tail feathers typical for a hen at 4 months?

Quote:
No saddle feathers either. What you may be hearing in the AM is the beginnings of an egg song and not a crow. Though I had an Asil hen that would crow.

Is there any way to share audio on this forum? If I catch her/him in the AM with my video camera it would be helpful for this new chicken owner to know the sound a regular old hen makes in the AM.
That was why we really started wondering. She/he sounds like she's warming up to crow loudly and annoy the neighbors. Getting louder by the day.

Back
Top Bottom