Hen or Rooster? Barred Rock was supposed to be a hen...

I'm going against the grain here: rooster all the way. Look at the stance, the leg thickness and the size of those massive feet! He also isn't nearly as dark as my BR hen... I think you got a boy.
sad.png

Did NOBODY else notice the sheer leg length in this chicken???
ep.gif

Quote:
I'll take her off your hands if she is too aggressive for your flock. Send me a PM if you want to re-home her. I have 50+ birds that will teach her good manners after one week she will find her place. We have two BR hens one is a sweet heart the other is a complete b*$%#. We had on really big BR rooster for a while he was the ladies man. Unfortunately he became too old and lost his ranking in the flock.

If she truly is a BR then it is a pullet. Way to dark to be a roo. I have BR the same age as yours. If it turns out to be a roo then it is BR mix. Someone posted pictures here a few months back. It was a BR and some darker colored breed, lol sorry I can not remember the breed. Anyways, it was a roo but the color looked like a BR pullet b/c of the darker color. But if it is a BR and not a cross then she is too dark to be a roo.

BigDaddy'sGurl :

I'm going against the grain here: rooster all the way. Look at the stance, the leg thickness and the size of those massive feet! He also isn't nearly as dark as my BR hen... I think you got a boy.
sad.png

Did NOBODY else notice the sheer leg length in this chicken???
ep.gif

I noticed the legs, the nasty hen we have is light in color patern. Our sweet hen "Pepper" much like the one in the picture dark feather patern also has spurs guess it must be typical with the breed.​

Last edited:
Also, my BR rooster is about 4 1/2 to 5 months old. He has the sickle tail feather thingy. I think it is called. Anyways, he has had his way more then a month. His comb and waddles are also way bigger then the one pictured. I will take a picture of him tomorrow for you to compare to.

I still say roo... went to Google.com/images and found two pics to illustrate my reason:

First pic is BR roo...notice the length of legs, width of said legs, size of feet...and darker color too.

63116_pp05676534.jpg

Second is BR hen...notice "squattier" stance and thinner legs with nearly the same color....

63116_02-00023-barrockchkii_watermarked-300x217.jpg

These are NOT my pictures but can be pulled up using google images...

ETA: non-show quality BRs have some challenges if you try to sex based solely on color being slightly lighter or darker...

But the OP can let us know for sure with a sound recording of the "crow" or "egg song" in am!

Last edited:
It is not unusual for a hen to have some male characteristics. I know it stinks waiting around for crowing or egg laying but sometimes the only answer is to wait it out. I have a hen with a huge comb, one has long curved tail feathers, another with a large comb and wattles but they are all hens that sit in the nest box and plop out eggs. Good Luck.

My BR hen is 18 months old. She has very large wattles and a large comb. She also has a very big mouth!
big_smile.png

I do have to say that I noticed the legs on that chicken. They look huge, but other than that, looks like hen.

i dont think you have a barred rock looks like a do
87967_swimming_006.jpg
miniquer to me. and it also looks l
87967_193.jpg
ike a rooster to me too. this is my hen on top pic and a barred rock rooster on botton pic

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom