Hen or Rooster? Barred Rock was supposed to be a hen...

idk I have a rock about the same age and I am stumped too. Big legs and all. But the other rock already has his pointy feathers and this one doesn't. Maybe another month. I have had experience with hen crows though. I can tell you that a rooster will crow in multi syllables and a hen will usually crow in only one syllable, 2 tops. And not nearly as loud. As far as aggressiveness I really haven't had a lot of aggressive roos / over aggressive hens, about even on that. Yours doesn't have any pointy feathers that I can see. It does look somewhat darker than a male. And mine also has the little feathery curl at the end of tail. I am really thinking hen. And I think the size on these can vary too depending on where you got it from.

Last edited:
I say pullet...

68634_dsc_0245.jpg

here are my 3 girls....

68634_br.jpg

here is one of my boys...both at 20 weeks

Looks like a hen.Here is some pics of my roo (r.i.p.) and two hens (gruesome and twosome(r.i.p.):

52004_dscf0022.jpg

Notice the 'pailer" grey of a roo?

52004_dscf0033.jpg

Hens sometimes look a little blue on their bared.

I think you have a cockerel there. The darkness of the feathers is confusing, but my BF Pullet(hen) is 22 weeks and has nowhere near the comb yours has and mine is not 'tall' like yours.
29942_imag2386_byc.jpg

I have 5 BR. There were always 2 that looked a like and 3 that looked a like. Mine are laying but I still can't tell you which ones are roosters and which ones are pullets. My roosters do not crow. All 5 are just as sweet as can be. I have never noticed that the pullets are any louder than my other chickens. The one with the largest comb is a hen because I see her in the nest box. May be one day I will figure it out. I would not get rid of your's until you know for sure.

You could video and then post to youtube with a link on here.

Yours looks like a she. I have 15 barred rocks, one being a rooster. At 4 months he was obviously a roo. Hackle and saddle feathers and large waddle and comb, and his barring was noticeably lighter than the hens, especially on his neck. My vote is you just have a early maturing hen who is just aggressive. I hope you are either able to keep her or rehome her.

We are going to work on getting a video with the "crowing" sound for all you chicken experts. We are hoping that ends the debate...???
Right now its a bit of a relief to see this split of opinion since we're so confused. We are new to chicken ownership but like her/him very much and don't want to lose her.
smile.png

You have a cockerel if I'm seeing what I think I see in that first picture. I see the skinny saddle feathers glinting just in front of the tail. How old is this bird? Barred Rocks are my thing. Some can fool you, some pullets are lighter, some males are darker, but NO pullets have those iridescent skinny saddle feathers. Also, the legs are clean yellow, not usually a pullet trait.

Back
Top Bottom