Hen or rooster? Pic

emimiller8

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 9, 2013
Central Coast, CA

I hatched this chicken and can't keep if it's a roo. I am new to raising chicken
s and really don't want to give it up:( please can someone tell me from these pics or how to tell if it's a hen/rooster

Last edited:
I could be wrong but id say rooster... let's get some more opinions. I can't have roosters either where I live so I started dna sexing babies before I buy them. It only costs 10 dollars for 1 to 9 birds and you do it with feathers. Most breeders don't mind doing it because I pay for the testing and they benifit as well knowing who the males are. Last year before I started dna sexing I had to rehome 5 roos. Not only was it heart breaking it was difficult. After that expirence I ask the breeders if I can dna sex the chicks. They pluck a couple chest feathers and the lab I use is accumetrics in canada. They serve world wide. The breeder mails in the feathers and we get our sex results. I purchase the females and breeder keeps the male chicks I've tested.its worked out really well and for people who can't have roos its a wonderful tool!! I just wanted to let you know that it was avaiable and super cheap to test 1 to9 birds and no tax. If you can't have roosters like I can't you might consider having the chicks dna tested BEFORE you purchase them. Most sellers don't mind doing this because they benifit as well. This way you can be certain you get females. Hope this helps you out.
Iwish you the best and hope I'm wrong about the birds sex.

Yes that's what I thought too! That's a roo tail for sure! I'm so so sorry!!!!!! Maybe try out the dna sex testing next time.it saves a lot of heart ache.i wish you the best of luck and so sorry your bird is a male.

He sure is beautiful. Maybe some one on this forum will take him?? He should start crowing ANY time now. I've been through this myself. Its so difficult to have to re home them once your attached. I'm so sorry. I'm sure you will find him a great home. Good luck.

He has crowed a few times. Just needed the pros to verify for me. Thanks everyone. I will find him a good home. He is a polish rooster so I'm sure I won't have to hard anime finding him a good home

Back
Top Bottom