Hen or Rooster?

Quote:
That "light Sussex" has yellow legs (Sussex have white legs). I can't see her head in any picture, so what kind of comb does she have? I suspect she's a columbian wyandotte (rose comb).

Last edited:
Here are some of my hatchery birds for you to compare. Buff Orpington Silver Laced Wyandotte
_MG_6406.jpg
I bought these girls from a hatchery at 2 weeks old for 2.50$ each. I am very surprised with how well they turned out!

Good call! Not familiar with them much at all. She could even be a Columbian Rock as well.

I am both saddened and disappointed that my 8 baby chicks are considered "hatchery" I could have bought them myself for $3 each not $20 each at 1-3 weeks old. I am posting more photos of our Light sessex as well as what breeds I was TOLD they were and what color egg I was TOLD they would lay.

Love your flock! :)

Thank you so much! Its my first time with chickens. I have no children only my hubby, our dog-daughter and our hens. Our dog wanted to eat em when they were little but I trained her NO, and she doesn't even bother them even when out there along with them. She does roll in their poop though and eat it sometimes too. :-( They have free range of our yard once I let em out of the coop in the morning. Per a suggestion in this post I will be keeping them LOCKED UP at night even if they have to wait a while for me to let them out in the morning. The raccoon description really freaked me out. Here is all my children. :)

Last edited:
I"m sorry you were misled. Unless a chick is very high quality, at that age, don't expect to pay that much for one. If you see them advertised for more than $6-$7, $10 at the most for a highly valued breed, it's wrong.

BUT, they're beautiful! I have more hatchery chicks in my flock than anything else and they lay well, they're friendly and very hearty. I think you'll really enjoy them.

Great idea to lock them up. It's never a big deal until something gets them, then you realize what you should have done. There are days my girls don't get out until later and they're just fine. They love their coop. The other option you could look into is an automatic door. It can be programed to open when the sun comes up and close when it goes down.

As for the muddy run, you could put some fine pine shavings down or some straw, more grass clippings, etc. Just build up the soil. Unfortunately, the birds eat all the grass and so, when it rains, it's muddy.

I"m sorry you were misled. Unless a chick is very high quality, at that age, don't expect to pay that much for one. If you see them advertised for more than $6-$7, $10 at the most for a highly valued breed, it's wrong.

BUT, they're beautiful! I have more hatchery chicks in my flock than anything else and they lay well, they're friendly and very hearty. I think you'll really enjoy them.

Great idea to lock them up. It's never a big deal until something gets them, then you realize what you should have done. There are days my girls don't get out until later and they're just fine. They love their coop. The other option you could look into is an automatic door. It can be programed to open when the sun comes up and close when it goes down.

As for the muddy run, you could put some fine pine shavings down or some straw, more grass clippings, etc. Just build up the soil. Unfortunately, the birds eat all the grass and so, when it rains, it's muddy.

I DID think of an automatic door, can they be installed on the coop I have? Do you have to get a special one or a dog one? Do you know where I can research them? Thank you!

I DID think of an automatic door, can they be installed on the coop I have? Do you have to get a special one or a dog one? Do you know where I can research them? Thank you!
I think it will work on your coop. Especially if you cut the door yourself, you can make it whatever size you want. There are a couple of options, I've seen really good reviews for one that has a pully system that opens and closes your existing door, but I can't remember what it's called. There are others that slide up and down. Try searching these forums, that's what I've done, and you'll get your answers quickly.

Back
Top Bottom