Hen pecked, bloody head, what to do? (Pic)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CptCluck, Nov 15, 2012.

1. CptCluck

CptCluck Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Sweet Dottie was found pretty bloody this morning, it looks fresh as there's no scabbing. I havent seen it this bad before. Any particular thing I should do about this?

[​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Clean the blood off. Don't worry about it. This happens. If they see blood, they will try to attack her though.

Probably happened if a rooster was mating her. Combs bleed a lot when cut.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Like Aoxa said, clean the blood off. Then put Blu-Kote on it to help heal and prevent picking/pecking. Dont get it in her eyes.

4. aoxa

When putting the blue stuff on, wear paint clothing. It will get on you, no matter how careful you are :p

That stuff is amazing. I was at my wits end with one hen's wound. It was extremely deep and wide. I was worried about maggots it was so bad. She didn't seem in pain, and was still laying - so I bought that Blue Kote and 3 weeks later she is entirely healed. She had those wounds for a month beforehand with no visible improvement by using an ointment made for chickens that was similar to polysporin. The Blue stuff was like a second skin.

5. CptCluck

May 18, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Thanks everyone! I'm ordering BluKote right now - I'm gonna get the "dauber" as I feel the spray bottles would be too messy (also, the eye danger)

Blu Kote - 4 ounce Dauber[​IMG]

6. aoxa

Good idea :) They sell Blue Kote at my feed store. Maybe check there so you can do it before the wound heals on it's own?

7. CptCluck

May 18, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Good idea... I'll try to run up there this afternoon. In the meantime I'll just clean it with wipes and perhaps alcohol

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Careful with the dauber, it can be VERY runny when applying it. (Watch her eyes!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by