hen pecked

jade0206

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 20, 2013
berks county, Pa
I had a chick that is about 3 months that was pecked in the back down to the bare skin I have her in the house putting stuff on it. I have a question I have tetracycline cream can I use that. I got it for one of my chickens eye was not sure if I can use that on it. Any help would be great and also can I give aspirin to him.thanks

I had a chick that is about 3 months that was pecked in the back down to the bare skin I have her in the house putting stuff on it. I have a question I have tetracycline cream can I use that. I got it for one of my chickens eye was not sure if I can use that on it. Any help would be great and also can I give aspirin to him.thanks
I'm not sure about that cream. If it doesn't have any "caine" in the ingredients list you should be alright. Keep that wound clean for sure. The best thing you can use is Vetericyn Spray...it's a wonder on wounds!

It's a must-have in your first-aid kit for sure. Here's what it can do:

I wish you all the best and hope your bird gets healed quickly!
frow.gif

Ok I try and get that tomorrow. For now I cleaned out with hydrogen peroxide and putting triple antibiotic ointment. He is eating and drinking. Should I give any special diet?.if I get the vetericyn do I still put the ointment on?

If your ointment is Terramycin (oxytetracycline) it would probably be okay, but plain old Neosproin or Triple Antibiotic ointment would work fine used twice a day. I would save the Terramycin, since it is for the eyes and a bit pricey. I would initially cleanse the wound with betadine or hibiclens and water, then dry it. The Vetericyn would also be acceptable, but pricey also. I would try to get the chick back outside with it's mates possibly by placing it in a cage with food and water in the coop, so that it doesn't have to be reintegrated later. Was it pecked by older chickens?

Ok I try and get that tomorrow. For now I cleaned out with hydrogen peroxide and putting triple antibiotic ointment. He is eating and drinking. Should I give any special diet?.if I get the vetericyn do I still put the ointment on?
I wouldn't...when you get the Vetericyn spray clean the wound again, gently pat dry and spray with the Vetericyn...it's a miracle worker...

I will be freeing up a coop,so I will put the three in that coop and the one I have in the house back with his friends.but I will put him in a cage to see them again before I set him free with them. One more question it is getting cold out. Since he is in a warm house will he adjust ok going back outside in the coop.

I will be freeing up a coop,so I will put the three in that coop and the one I have in the house back with his friends.but I will put him in a cage to see them again before I set him free with them. One more question it is getting cold out. Since he is in a warm house will he adjust ok going back outside in the coop.
Since you've only had him in the house for a short time it should be alright. I wouldn't put him out there late in the day...pick a warmer time of day to do that. And yes! It is getting colder, but chickens don't need heat...they need dry and good ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom