hen raising her babies

NeeCee51

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 12, 2013
I have 5 babies that are three weeks old and have been hatched and raised by two hens that were broody at the same time. Very cute. Currently I have a portion of the coop blocked of so they are not around my rooster and other hen at night. During the day they all free range together under my supervision for a while then the moms and babies go in the chicken tractor so the rooster and other hen can't get to them. I still don't trust the rooster and other hen since I have seen them peck at the babies. I know I should wait till they are a little older to let them roost with the adults but is it 5 weeks or wait till the moms pull away from them so they are on their own..Thanks

I have 5 babies that are three weeks old and have been hatched and raised by two hens that were broody at the same time. Very cute. Currently I have a portion of the coop blocked of so they are not around my rooster and other hen at night. During the day they all free range together under my supervision for a while then the moms and babies go in the chicken tractor so the rooster and other hen can't get to them. I still don't trust the rooster and other hen since I have seen them peck at the babies. I know I should wait till they are a little older to let them roost with the adults but is it 5 weeks or wait till the moms pull away from them so they are on their own..Thanks

The other birds in the flock pecking at the chicks is not necessarily a sign that they are in danger. The broody will intercede if/when she feels someone is out of line, but a certain amount of community discipline is the natural order of things as the other birds let the chicks know that they need to go back to mama vs. intruding in that bird's space, intruding on that bird's food, etc. I raise my broody hatched chicks in the flock, always have.

I let the hens choose. My flock meets chicks (supervised) at about a week. Then they all free range together from that point on. So far my hens usually take them to the main coop to roost at about 5 weeks.

Would love to see pictures :)

Thanks so much..The babies have been around the rooster and other hen since about a week old. Guess I'm a little nervous since this is my first time dealing with babies. I love watching the hens teach the babies about how to be a chicken...

I leave my broody hens with their hatchling in the coop. Mama will take care of them. If she's part of the flock, the flock will accept them as well. Mine coop most of the day, free range in the evening. I've never had a problem. I have 2 roos and a cockerel in the coop, they really don't pay attention to the chicks (I have 8 now and I hope another 8 tomorrow).

It is a really great experience to watch a hen raise chicks. My rooster will stand between chicks and other hens if they start acting up. The mama hen will charge like a bull if she feels someone is too close haha

Most of the time it's best to let nature take it's course. Don't worry too much or you'll miss out on some of the joy
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom