Hen Rejecting Duckling?

FionaCheech

Hatching
May 29, 2022
Hi All, long story short, I have a hen and she was on some duck eggs (my kid thought she was doing a good thing). Yesterday, one hatched. We went to check on it this morning and it was in a corner, not near the hen. We got it out of the corner and tried to bring it back to the hen and she immediately starting pecking at it. It led us to think the duckling had retreated to the corner possibly because the hen was not happy with the little bugger. I have read that hens will raise anything they hatch, and I have read other posts saying that is not always the case and they can certainly tell the difference. I guess I am a little concerned we did the wrong thing by taking the duckling from her. The pecking scared us.

Sometimes aggressive pecking and regular pecking can be confused, especially if you've never hatched with a broody before. How many other eggs is she sitting on? I'd try to slide the duckling back under. Monitor what happens and post a video if you can.

Last edited:
Sometimes aggressive pecking and regular pecking can be confused, especially if you've never hatched with a broody before. How many other eggs is she sitting on? I'd try to slide the duckling back under. Monitor what happens and post a video if you can.
She has three others. Every time we get close to her, she starts pecking. We will try tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom