Hen suddenly can't walk

ashlierami

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 9, 2017
Alabama
I have a one year old white silkie. She was perfectly fine yesterday. She foraged, walked, ran, went to bed as usual. This morning I noticed when it was time to let them out for the day she was sitting down and appeared weak. I tried to get her up and she can't walk very much or far she just lays down or sits. I put electrolyte water out for her and she is drinking. I offered her oyster shells and food. She wants neither. What is wrong? Should I give her some nutri drench?

I have had this problem before and my best advice is to give her some plain yogurt with apple cider vinegar mixed into it. It works as a strengthener and helps kill any disease. Her poo might become slightly watery but that is a sign it is working. Hope this helps, it did with one of my hens!

I have had this problem before and my best advice is to give her some plain yogurt with apple cider vinegar mixed into it. It works as a strengthener and helps kill any disease. Her poo might become slightly watery but that is a sign it is working. Hope this helps, it did with one of my hens!
I gave her a few drops of nutri drench and there is electrolytes in her water . She now only wants to drink water and doesn't want to eat. I boiled some eggs and she didn't take it . I also put oyster shells beside her and she doesn't eat them. Her poo is watery currently and smells horrid. Her bottom around her vent is wet as if she had a no shell egg come out but I seen no sign of that. I thought maybe she's egg bound but I'm unsure. thank you for some advice I hope I can help her before it's to late.

It might help to put in a disposable glove and feel inside her vent an inch for a stuck egg. Her vent could be wet from watery poo as well. Has she laid an egg recently? Egg binding can rarely but sometimes make them temporarily lame. She may be severly dehydrated. Some possible causes could be coccidiosis, egg binding, Mareks disease, or other problem. Check her crop to see if it is full and hard, soft and puffy, or empty. Look her over for mites and lice on her skin.

It might help to put in a disposable glove and feel inside her vent an inch for a stuck egg. Her vent could be wet from watery poo as well. Has she laid an egg recently? Egg binding can rarely but sometimes make them temporarily lame. She may be severly dehydrated. Some possible causes could be coccidiosis, egg binding, Mareks disease, or other problem. Check her crop to see if it is full and hard, soft and puffy, or empty. Look her over for mites and lice on her skin.
I think the last time she laid was about 2 days ago or so. She lays daily or sometimes every other day. I always have water accessible and the coop she sleeps in at night has a waterer always. She was perfect yesterday. She chased me when I had the treats and she was being normal. Her crop was empty and still is since she won't eat. She's just drinking water . I have corid as well as antibiotic I just don't know what to give or start with besides what I've already done. It's like she changed overnight and it shocked me to find her this morning not wanting to get up. She's always at the coop door ready to go out or ready for food. It is very hot and humid here but I can't understand why she would be dehydrated when I have water accessible outside the coops as well as inside.

How did this end up for you? It sounds like exactly what I have going on right now (posted a video here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-this-a-leg-injury.1275893/#post-20524536)

I leave town tomorrow so I've read everything I can find here but haven't had much luck & would love to know your thoughts! I thought it might be Mareks at first but with such a sudden onset I was unsure & am now doubtful since its been 5 days with no other signs of decline other than the leg/walking issue.

Back
Top Bottom