Hen tried to kill chicks... Updated: They both died.. =(

sorry but I have seen warnings not to use neosporin for extended use (exactly for the reason you stated) and to switch to granulexV in just these cases > both from human as well as veterinary sites which is why I posted it... dont have the links right at this moment (but can refind them I suppose but I assure you I have seen this several times in the professional literature.
ETA:
GRANULEX
00ae.png
V is a topical treatment that assists natural healing by removing dead tissue and stimulating growth of epithelial tissue.

the active ingrediant you are referring to is TRYPSIN and I have also read that excessive longterm use can possibly cause pyogenic reaction (pus producing) I understood this is associated more with with deeper wounds .
Trypsin is intended for debridement of eschar and other necrotic tissue. It appears that in many instances removal of wound debris
strengthens humoral defense mechanisms sufficiently to retard proliferation of local pathogens. (use gauze i.e as wet to dry)

http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/articles/651feat5.html
"....However, many topical anti-infectives such as povidone-iodine, chlorhexidine, and hydrogen peroxide that efficiently kill microbes can be toxic to the treated tissue; they can prevent wounds from decreasing in size and ultimately inhibit healing...."

Honey can also be used.​

Last edited:
Hello! Unfortunately this does sometims happen. Hens don't always make good mothers just like in the human world. I have had this happen as well. Don't beat yourself up for what happened--many of us have had this happen and thank God you were there to catch it. As I said, I have had this happen and used Neosporin on their heads--it helped relieve their pain as well as clean out the wounds. You need to place them in a nice warm area with heat of course, water and I like to make a medicated feed mash(wet medicated feed). If you have any Polyvisol drops(vitamin drops used for infants--can get this at any grocery or drug store in the infant section) and give them a few drops--all of this seems to speed up the healing process and comfort them as well while they heal. Good luck!!!

dlunicorn, I just added your site "Dragonflies and Dandelions" to the bottom of My BYC Page so that I never lose it. Thanks for the ton of readily-available informantion.

Last edited:
additional info:
(ages ago I put this in my yahoo notepad but neglected to save the link so do not have it posted in my library) but it was from a rehabber site

"Wounds that are in repair stage with a healthy bed of granulation bed

Petrolatum-impregnated bandages
Comfortable and keeps wounds moist but it does slow epithelialisation. Less adhering than the cotton nonadherent bandages.

Polyurethane foam sponge material
Absorbs fluid and maintains a moist wound. However, there may be edge adherence of this type of bandage.

Tegaderm
A moisture or vapour permeable semiocclusive dressing.
Maintains wound moisture and leads to a more rapid healing of the wound. It is adhesive and so may be used on its own over wounds without additional bandaging materials depending on the site. However, it does have a difficult application technique.

Hydrocolloid (Duoderm; Dermaheal)
This dressing will absorb fluid to create a gel that enhances epithelialisation and needs less frequent changes than some types of bandage. Its disadvantages are that its not transparent; there may be reduced wound contraction; and difficult removal from the skin surrounding the wound.

Hydrogel dressing (BioDres)
"A hydrophilic polyethylene oxide polymer composite".
Also useful in noninfected eschar.
This product absorbs fluid and enhances epithelialisation; it's transparent; and there is not a problem with adherence to the skin surrounding the wound. However, it may cause exuberant granulation tissue.

Porcine small intestinal submucosa (Vet Biosist)
This product will act as a matrix for wound healing and it may also assist granulation over the bone. However, it can prolong contraction of the wound.
Moderately to heavily exudative wounds

Calcium alginate (Curasorb)
This felt-like pad absorbs considerable wound fluid and it also enhances epithelialisation. However, a calcium alginate eschar may be produced if the wound is not producing enough fluid to convert the pad to a gel.

Wounds in the late inflammatory or the early repair stage
Exogenous collagen matrix (Bovine collagen)
This product will act as a matrix for fibroblast migration by causing an inflammatory reaction that will enhance collagen deposition.

M@M@2four :

.... You need to place them in a nice warm area with heat of course, water and I like to make a medicated feed mash(wet medicated feed). !

...are you referring to medicated chick starter? Are you advising to give this to an older bird? The medication in that is not an antibiotic but an a coccidiostat and effective only for management (and not treatment of cocci ...
...unless your birds are of an age that benefits from medicated feed against cocci then I dont see how this would help.​

Wow! Thanks for all the responses. Unfourtantley the one that I had better hopes for died last night. So I've just got the one. Its the one that may have the bad eye so I'm goin to try and use some of the terrimycin on the eye and partial head.

The light doesn't seem to be drying its lil head out. If it starts to I will come up with something to put on it.

I just really do not have good hopes for this one it was the weaker of the 2 lastnight..

I'm goin right now to check on the ones with the hen to make sure she's ok with thim still. I honestly feel that she just didn't accept these since I added them later. I dont know why it took her a few days to decide not to..

So sorry Vicki I've managed to kill the majority of you lil ones in the incubator and ones had a horrible death on the other barely hangin on.

ugh!! This just Sucks! I normally handle babies dieing Ok, but I guess I feel to blame on this one..

Last edited:
You dont want to "dry it out" at this stage...
,.. if you have nothing else then use honey on it...
keep it hydrated and put electrolytes in the water...
A heating pad UNDERNEATH the bedding (you do not want it TOO warm !) if you are worried about temp regulation may be helpful.

I too had to learn the hard way not to chance putting new babies under a mama that had hatched her own (((hugs)))

Last edited:
Quote:
The light isn't dryin it out. Both of thems heads even the dead one was still moist this morning. I also have a cloth in there for it to get under. I've got electrolytes, so I'll do that. If it starts to dry its head out I'll switch to a heating pad. Thanks again..

you need to dribble water along its beak several times... dehydration is a real risk with this type of injury at this age.

I am sorry to hear about your chickies.
hugs.gif

I just went through something similar with my chicks, but it was a blue jay that got in with them. Killed one, pecked 3 others and the 4th was not touched. The worse one had the side of its head all bloodied and her eye was swollen shut for several days. I did not know if she still had an eye or what. I only had neosporin that I dabbed on, didn't bandage. Mine wasn't quite as bad as yours, but it was awful.
Good luck with your baby.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom