Hen with Bald patches on Breast and Neck for the Past 8 months - need advise!

Iamgrateful

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
I have an Isa Brown hen (2 years old) who has had a bald patch (no feathers) on her breast and neck for the past 8 months or so. I thought it was a molt, but its been too long now. The skin is bright red where the bald patch is. She is not laying many eggs, and I believe that most of the eggs she lays, she has been eating.

I've tried spraying the bald patches with an antibiotic spray (cant remember the name but got it at TSC), and I've supplements oyster shell in their food to try to stop egg eating.

Can anyone please shed some light as to what may have caused or be causing this, or what I can do to help her? I've researched on the internet but haven't been able to pinpoint anything in particular.

Thank you in advance!

Had the same thing happen to one of my roosters. Turned out to be a feather plucker. One of his girls was roughin him up at night. Sot rid of her, and the feathers grew back.

I have been watching to see if anyone is picking on her and I haven't seen anything. She has always been the "leader" of the flock.

Besides her bald patch on her neck, I have a White Leghorn hen who laid big white eggs very consistently her first 2 seasons. But now in her 3rd season...she hasn't laid an egg since October. She looks good and healthy....

What is going on in my flock?! Help!!!

I have a rooster with the same red, bald neck....red, bald rump too. He's had it for about 3 months. Now some of the hens are losing neck feathers too. I'm watching for a feather picker, but I'm starting to wonder if it isn't mice because there is a growing pile of feathers in one corner. I saw on another thread that it might be caused by lice or mites, but I don't see any on my roo. Does your hen's neck look like this?

I noticed 2 of my 3 week old chicks are roughed up and baldy spotted. I had 1 of the bigger chicks who was gentler in there with them. I believe she was the on... or some others. I'm reading and seeing if they improve tomorrow. Is there a dreaded disease that has baldy rough spots signs? The were also recently fuzzy and could the sudden heat wave make them blow off fuzz? But they do looks irritated. Can you used furacin (from my horse tack box) or neosporin from my tack box :) ?

Two more questions... Can I put powdered lime on the bottom of the coop and crate before putting pine shavings over it?

And I believe I read that Sevin can be used ... for mites or ...???

Yes my hen's neck looks just like that! She has a bunch of pin feathers poking out of the skin though but they never grow. She has been that way for a good 8 months or more...it doesn't seem to get worse or better, but it just stays the same all the time.

I have no idea what to do for her....she is 3 and no longer laying any eggs.

I just saw the rooster in picture sitting in yard while one of the hens pulled the tiny new feathers out of his neck. He didn't even try to move or complain! So, I don't see any neck feathers in his future.

I just noticed this afternoon that all 6 of my hens have bare breast area! The feathers are like they have been laying in something and are crusty. The skin isn't red and they don't seem to complain or pick at the area. They are my very first girls and I want to do right by them. I will be cleaning the coop this weekend and have started giving them more protein. What else can I do for my ladies? They are laying eggs.

Back
Top Bottom