Hen with bloody stool and shaking

Or if *all* poops look like this, there is probably a problem.
Normal9-1.jpg
intestinallining.jpg

Shedintestinelining.jpg

Rut Roh, Raggy. Back to the poop page. This is what it looks like, which isn't included in the "new norm" you listed.
ep.gif
I started the "alleged" girls (jury is still out on my silkie) on sulfadimethoxine today. I was concerned because the Silkie is 17 weeks and the directions say 16 weeks. However, to make life easier on me, they are all still on medicated chic feed. I am using 1/2 teaspoon per gallon solution and just following the directions. Need to buy some yogurt too. What are your scoop on the poop and my course of treatment! My uneducated guess is that it is cocci, even though they were on medicated chic feed.
Normal-Richy.jpg

Last edited:
Rut Roh, Raggy. Back to the poop page. This is what it looks like, which isn't included in the "new norm" you listed.
ep.gif
I started the "alleged" girls (jury is still out on my silkie) on sulfadimethoxine today. I was concerned because the Silkie is 17 weeks and the directions say 16 weeks. However, to make life easier on me, they are all still on medicated chic feed. I am using 1/2 teaspoon per gallon solution and just following the directions. Need to buy some yogurt too. What are your scoop on the poop and my course of treatment! My uneducated guess is that it is cocci, even though they were on medicated chic feed.
Normal-Richy.jpg
If all of their poop looks funny, they probably have coccidiosis, worms or an infection. You have to learn to trust your gut feeling.

Thanks. Since I am a new "hen" I am second guessing everything. I will continue with the medicated chic feed and sulpha meds.
You might want to get yourself a digital kitchen scale (see my avatar) and get a baseline weight on your birds. At their age, they should be gaining weight, so any loss is cause for concern.

Thanks. Since I am a new "hen" I am second guessing everything. I will continue with the medicated chic feed and sulpha meds.
MHO...Realsis is correct with the Corid as is Casportpony with the scale. The sulpher drugs are for resistant cocci and enteritis. Save your big guns for last! If you are able switch to the Corid and see what happens. While giving this do not give them the medicated chick feed. That is preventative and will not cure it. [Hmmmm...is that experience talking?] Another thing to stop if you are doing so is vitamin supplementation. You are defeating the purpose of the Corid when giving vitamins.

Last edited:
yes and by the way corid kills ALL 9 strains of cocci. after ; that's AFTER treatment with corid give pro biotic to increase beneficial bacteria. I've personally seen corid save many lives. but time is of essence here in please treat ASAP with corid. don't waste valuable time on the other. Corid WILL cure her if you get her dosed in time
if she's not drinking as she should be you might need to help her out with the dose. good luck

Ok, here is where I am completely confused. Corid is the brand name for amprolium, which is already in the chic feed. So in essence, they have been treated with Corid since birth, right? Bloody stool is the only symptom and it has been going on for about 10 days. Looks very similar to the picture I posted above from the poop page post.

So, if the feed is medicated with Corid and the she still has the bloody stool, wouldn't I want to use something else? That truly is a question. And, since I have started the sulfadimethoxine shouldn't I:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]a) finish the full course
b) Do I need to stop the medicated chic feed with Corid?
c) all of the above
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The other two birds don't seem to be affected at all. The Silkie with the poop problem looks healthy to me (despite the rear end problem). In fact today she seems fluffier and more groomed than I have seen her in awhile. I guess she has more time to primp in the hen house with all the snow still melting.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As always, thanks in advance![/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom