Hen with frothy bubbles in and around eyes

Update:

After a day and several hours, her eyes are looking a lot better.
The swelling has gone down, and so has the amount of bubbles.

Thank you, eggcessive, for the help.

Her left eye is swollen shut again, and she keeps her mouth open and breathes through it. I don't know what to do and now I'm really worried about her.

Separate her in a pen or cage with food and water. Has she been pecked again, or is she showing signs of a respiratory infection? Tylan or oxytetracycline can be given for a respiratory disease. If she is being pecked, then you may have to remove the bully or keep her separated. Here again is a good link to read about MG and coryza, 2 of the respiratory diseases that can cause swelling of the face, gasping, wheezing, and nasal drainage: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
I haven't released her outside at all, so the pecking isn't possible, but she appears to be taking deep breaths.

Well, I would separate her and treat her with Tylan 50 injectable, but give it orally. You will still need 22 gauge needles and 3 cc syringes to get the medicine out of the vial. Dosage is 1/4 ml for bantams, 1/2 ml for regular hens under 5 lb, and 1 ml for hens 5 pounds and over twice daily for 5 days. Other drugs include oxytetracycline or Gallimycin powder to use in the water.

Well, I would separate her and treat her with Tylan 50 injectable, but give it orally. You will still need 22 gauge needles and 3 cc syringes to get the medicine out of the vial. Dosage is 1/4 ml for bantams, 1/2 ml for regular hens under 5 lb, and 1 ml for hens 5 pounds and over twice daily for 5 days. Other drugs include oxytetracycline or Gallimycin powder to use in the water.

I'll still need the needles and syringes? Can I get those at Tractor Supply, or do I need to go elsewhere?

Alright, so I've gotten oxytetracycline because I couldn't get the Tylan 50. What would be a recommended dosage for the oxytetracycline?

Never mind. Figured that out on my own.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom