Hen With Hard Large Abdomen!!!

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
My 5 year old Jersey hen has been a bit sluggish today but e ating well. I examined her and she has a swollen hard area like a baseball behind her legs underneath. It's tender. What do I do first? I'm at a loss, she's real special.

Last edited:
With a swollen hard abdomen like that, it looks like internal laying, I guess. I wonder how I can make her comfortable.

Seems like a warm bath, soaking, would be a good place to start. Maybe you could see what you were dealing with a little better then. Wish I could help you more, I know it's hard when you're not sure what to do

Thanks, Twoscrambled. I went out to check on her and she's on the roost with the others. I guess I'll pick her up tomorrow and take a better look.

If the hen is egg bound, try to get your hands on some Metacam. Metacam is a canine anti-inflammatory which causes contractions in hens to release the egg. A vet showed me this with an egg bound hen I had once. 1 cc down the throat of a 6 lb hen did it in about a half hour. I hope that is the case rather than an oviduct cyst or tumor. Two years ago I was nursing a sick hen to find out later from a necropsy that she had oviduct cancer. Some folks use mineral oil in an enema to help the hen pass the egg.

She could be an internal layer or egg bound or have a blocked oviduct. I had a hen with similar symptoms that I had a vet diagnose as a blocked oviduct. The surgery was successful...her oviduct was full of egg yolks that had hardened. Hope she's just egg bound.

Back
Top Bottom