Hen With Hard Large Abdomen!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by seminolewind, Feb 5, 2013.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My 5 year old Jersey hen has been a bit sluggish today but e ating well. I examined her and she has a swollen hard area like a baseball behind her legs underneath. It's tender. What do I do first? I'm at a loss, she's real special.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  2. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    With a swollen hard abdomen like that, it looks like internal laying, I guess. I wonder how I can make her comfortable.

3. twoscrambled

twoscrambled Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2012
    Seems like a warm bath, soaking, would be a good place to start. Maybe you could see what you were dealing with a little better then. Wish I could help you more, I know it's hard when you're not sure what to do

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Thanks, Twoscrambled. I went out to check on her and she's on the roost with the others. I guess I'll pick her up tomorrow and take a better look.

5. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    She acts normal. Coming for treats, eating. Her comb is nicely red. I guess I'll keep watching.

6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Tonight it's about the size of a softball and still hard. But she is acting pretty normal so far.

7. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    If the hen is egg bound, try to get your hands on some Metacam. Metacam is a canine anti-inflammatory which causes contractions in hens to release the egg. A vet showed me this with an egg bound hen I had once. 1 cc down the throat of a 6 lb hen did it in about a half hour. I hope that is the case rather than an oviduct cyst or tumor. Two years ago I was nursing a sick hen to find out later from a necropsy that she had oviduct cancer. Some folks use mineral oil in an enema to help the hen pass the egg.

8. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    She could be an internal layer or egg bound or have a blocked oviduct. I had a hen with similar symptoms that I had a vet diagnose as a blocked oviduct. The surgery was successful...her oviduct was full of egg yolks that had hardened. Hope she's just egg bound.

9. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I do think she's an internal layer or has a blocked oviduct. Can you tell me some more about surgery?

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by