PrincessLay-a

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2019
Hey everyone.

Just this night I saw one of my hens sitting in the corner of the coop looking sad and droopy. When I picked her up I saw that she had a hard calcified lump coming out of her vent. I soaked her greatly in warm water and pulled it out. It was hard and smelled god awful. It didn't quite look like poop though. I had a hen die with the same symptoms a few months ago, and never found out what killed her. The hen that has it now is quite skinny too. Last time I saw this I was thinking maybe vent gleet? I am going to get some pictures today. My plan right now is to give her a salt bath and some probiotics, as well as giving her some salt water to flush her digestive tract.

I'm really not sure and want to get to the bottom of this! If you have any advice or an incline on what it may be please let me know.

Hey everyone.

Just this night I saw one of my hens sitting in the corner of the coop looking sad and droopy. When I picked her up I saw that she had a hard calcified lump coming out of her vent. I soaked her greatly in warm water and pulled it out. It was hard and smelled god awful. It didn't quite look like poop though. I had a hen die with the same symptoms a few months ago, and never found out what killed her. The hen that has it now is quite skinny too. Last time I saw this I was thinking maybe vent gleet? I am going to get some pictures today. My plan right now is to give her a salt bath and some probiotics, as well as giving her some salt water to flush her digestive tract.

I'm really not sure and want to get to the bottom of this! If you have any advice or an incline on what it may be please let me know.
Photos would be helpful.
I would be hesitant to flush inside the vent, a good soaking would be better. Any hard plugs or lumps you get out, try to get a photo of those too.

Photos would be helpful.
I would be hesitant to flush inside the vent, a good soaking would be better. Any hard plugs or lumps you get out, try to get a photo of those too.
Sorry, misunderstanding, I am giving her salt water to drink not giving her an enima. I have just put her in a cage now and am going to give her a good soaking. I will have pictures soon. I have also noticed that her comb is droopy

Here are the photos. (standard sized house key for refrence)
20190611_121026.jpg
20190611_121011.jpg
20190611_121245.jpg
20190611_121216.jpg

Sorry, misunderstanding, I am giving her salt water to drink not giving her an enima. I have just put her in a cage now and am going to give her a good soaking. I will have pictures soon. I have also noticed that her comb is droopy
O.k. Well, I don't think I would give her salt water to drink either. A salt water flush is normally used when it's suspected that a bird has ingested toxins. It could also be used to help flush a crop that is not functioning properly.

I would give her just plain water or you can add some vitamins or electrolytes for the day.

The material you posted, look like Salpingitis or "Lash Egg". Salpingitis is an infection of the oviduct. You can try soaking her in a warm epsom salts bath to help sooth her if she is not too lethargic. IF caught very early, sometimes antibiotics can be used to help treat the infection, but often they are short lived.
Do you have any antibiotics? If not, I would use either Baytril or Amoxicillin. Both have to be ordered online unless you have a vet that will see her.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/

O.k. Well, I don't think I would give her salt water to drink either. A salt water flush is normally used when it's suspected that a bird has ingested toxins. It could also be used to help flush a crop that is not functioning properly.

I would give her just plain water or you can add some vitamins or electrolytes for the day.

The material you posted, look like Salpingitis or "Lash Egg". Salpingitis is an infection of the oviduct. You can try soaking her in a warm epsom salts bath to help sooth her if she is not too lethargic. IF caught very early, sometimes antibiotics can be used to help treat the infection, but often they are short lived.
Do you have any antibiotics? If not, I would use either Baytril or Amoxicillin. Both have to be ordered online unless you have a vet that will see her.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/
From looking at the links you shared I believe you are right.

Glad that you were able to see the lash egg and pull it out of her vent. Those are masses of infection from an oviduct inflammation (salpingitis.) Hens can commonly suffer with reproductive disorders, and those can frequently be an eventual cause of death down the road. Hopefully, your hen will feel better, and you may want to try the antibiotics or not.

Glad that you were able to see the lash egg and pull it out of her vent. Those are masses of infection from an oviduct inflammation (salpingitis.) Hens can commonly suffer with reproductive disorders, and those can frequently be an eventual cause of death down the road. Hopefully, your hen will feel better, and you may want to try the antibiotics or

Thank you for your help!

I am pretty sure I have had a few hens die of this. My landlord has a batch of older hens that we take care of and a couple of them have died in the last couple months.

From looking her over I have decided that culling her is the most humane option. Her abdomen is severely distended and she is skin and bones. I predict she would die anyhow and would suffer. In addition, I don't treat with antibiotics. I don't have access to a local seller and the money plus the chance that that the hens can become resistant to them in the future seems to outweigh the good.

Again thank you so so much!

Glad that you were able to see the lash egg and pull it out of her vent. Those are masses of infection from an oviduct inflammation (salpingitis.) Hens can commonly suffer with reproductive disorders, and those can frequently be an eventual cause of death down the road. Hopefully, your hen will feel better, and you may want to try the antibiotics or not.
Thank you for your help!

I am pretty sure I have had a few hens die of this. My landlord has a batch of older hens that we take care of and a couple of them have died in the last couple months.

From looking her over I have decided that culling her is the most humane option. Her abdomen is severely distended and she is skin and bones. I predict she would die anyhow and would suffer. In addition, I don't treat with antibiotics. I don't have access to a local seller and the money plus the chance that that the hens can become resistant to them in the future seems to outweigh the good.

Again thank you so so much!

Back
Top Bottom