Hen with heat sickness updated

galaxyflyer1

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
Corona Ca.
Update: My hen just died. Thanks everyone for your help.

I think its the end for Brownie, its getting worse.

I have an Easter egger (1 1\\2 years old) that is tired. Her comb is normal and her tail feathers are up. She had some runny poop and does not have an appetite. I have found evidence of a broken soft shell egg. It's been hot here in SO CAL the last couple of days, high 90's. They have plenty of shade and water. I picked her up and put her in front of a water bowl and she drank a lot. (That was yesterday) But went to the corner to rest again. I did check for egg bound and there seems to be nothing there.

Today she will not drink.

Could she just be dehydrated?

Maybe I should put her in our cool house (bathtub) and get her out of the heat?

Thanks everyone,
Bob

Last edited:
Yes...to the bathtub!! I lost one to heat and almost another one too. I brought her in and gave her chickie gatorade and after about 4 hours she finally started acting herself eating and drinking, flew out of the bathtub...so I took her outside and she has been fine ever since. Agatha is now thriving again.

galaxy - I would bring her in as well to cool her down. I had a hen do that a couple years ago. She was laying in the coop floor and I thought for sure she was going to die. I picked her up and held her for probably an hour and gave her water, yogurt and food and put her inside a small carrier that she could stand up and turn around but not run around. I left her inside the garage and at nite when it cooled down I moved her inside my enlosed garden area with a blanket over the carrier. She was up and moving the next morning and ready to go. Turned her loose and she went out to the coop with her friends.

Good Luck!

We"ve had hens dropping like flies out here in AZ. The cool house bath tub gig works well...we also freeze large water bottles
for the girls to lay around and put up misters. This has been one of the worst summers ever.. Also been putting out large
aluminum roasting pans with cool water and some ice, they love to stand in it and it seems to cool them off. Puts roasting
pans in a whold new light
smile.png

Yes, shes in the tub but wont do anything. I'm trying to force water down her with a syringe. She still has the runs which is worrying me because of dehydration. This would be day 2 now.

As stated, I cant get yogurt down her. She was pooing water only. No mites or worms. I have no idea what happened. It's not really that hot outside anyway. The others are not even lifting their wings. She is sitting with her eyes closed. Not sure if I should leave her in peace or keep forcing yogurt or water down. I think it's the end. Painfully I dug a hole ready for her...

Back
Top Bottom