Hen with HUGE HOLE IN HER NECK!! HELP!

muscovy94

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 11, 2008
Vicksburg, MS
Lastnight I found one of my hens and she has a huge hole in her neck. She's up walking around like she feels fine, but whenever she drinks the water just trickles out of her neck! And when she breathes it's just kind of weezing. Is there anything I can do? Or is she a gonner? I'll get pics this afternoon.

Strange, there was a very simmilar post last night, any connection?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=420567

If there is food/water leakage then obviously there is dammage to the oesophagus or crop, wheezing makes me think there may also be dammage to the airway or air sacks. Edit (add or fluid draining into airsacks or lungs)

Infection will be a huge problem, that crop will need to be surgically repaired if it is even possible in order to prevent fluids and food draining into the body cavity or under skin causing infection.

Wound will need standard wound care.

A pic would help, but sounds very serious and it will need immediate care. Likely some antibiotics would help too but no point if the physical problems are not corrected. Is a vet a possibilty?

Good luck with it.

Last edited:
That is a catastrophic injury and the bird has very little chance of surviving. I would cull her. Sorry.

I forgot to mention that she has a little white sack hanging out and whEn shE inhales and exhales thE sack inflates and deflates. Wat is that? Is it bad?

Perhaps you should read the post referenced by Clay Valley Farmer. The poster in that spoke with a vet this morning about her bird and was told that the bird should be culled. The injuries described in this post are even more severe. Those sacs are likely air sacs, and yes, that's bad. You would not be giving your bird a fighting chance by not culling her, you would be needlessly prolonging her suffering.

Back
Top Bottom