Hen with leg issue

TheOddOneOut

🌧️🌧️🌧️
Feb 15, 2020
OR
My 2 year old EE hen, June Bug, is either slightly insane or is injured.
When she walks, her left leg spazzes. She high-steps, trips, yanks it out behind her, flicks it around. As if she’s got something wrapped around it.
But there’s nothing wrong! I’ve looked and looked.
image.jpg

She has zero history of medical issues. But her leg is bothering her and I have no idea how to help.

Help!
45D48C82-98B7-4388-9F99-7A18CEB7C5C3.jpeg

Feel over her joints. She might have a vein issue.

Is the flock free of Mareks?

Feel over her joints. She might have a vein issue.

Is the flock free of Mareks?
I felt up and down her joints. I felt nothing.
They should be. I know she cam from a hatchery, but as I was the “third party” (I purchased her at 6 weeks from someone who got her from McMurray (I think)) I don’t know if she’s vaccinated. But 2/3 of our 6 hen flock are definitely vaccinated.

I don’t think this would be causing the leg issue especially since it’s just one she’s doing it with but it does also look like she may have the very very beginnings of scaly leg mites as well so you could try treating for that and see if it helps although I’m sure there’s probably something else going on too but it wouldn’t hurt her.

I don’t think this would be causing the leg issue especially since it’s just one she’s doing it with but it does also look like she may have the very very beginnings of scaly leg mites as well so you could try treating for that and see if it helps although I’m sure there’s probably something else going on too but it wouldn’t hurt her.
☝☝☝☝☝
Yes, I can see the scales are very slightly lifted

She doesn’t have scaly leg mites, guys.
Her legs have always been a little dry, but no, she doesn’t have scaly leg mites.

She doesn’t have scaly leg mites, guys.
Her legs have always been a little dry, but no, she doesn’t have scaly leg mites.
The raised scales (not the dryness) are very indicative of that though. They should not be raised. It doesn’t mean you did anything wrong though and I wasn’t trying to suggest that. They’re very very common. I would say most if not all birds probably get them at some point. All mine have had them at one point or another. Just part of having chickens tbh. Very easy to treat though and even if it’s not mites it would help the dryness

Back
Top Bottom