hen with lump over each eye

KongOdin

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2018
Hello.

It's a pretty small hen and it has 2 pretty big lumps over both eyes. Troubles opening eyes and is twitching around a bit. It seem it's in misery.

Is there anything I can do by myself? Or should it be given mercy? No vet possible.

Can you post some photos?

Do the eyes have any discharge or pus?
Does she have any other symptoms-coughing, sneezing, runny nose, not eating/drinking?
Have you examined her for external parasites (lice/mites)?
Have you added any new chickens to your flock within the last 30days?
Your location and weather would be helpful as well.

Hopefully with more information, we can give you some suggestions.
If she is not eating/drinking, then do what you can to get her hydrated.

Can you post some photos?

Do the eyes have any discharge or pus?
Does she have any other symptoms-coughing, sneezing, runny nose, not eating/drinking?
Have you examined her for external parasites (lice/mites)?
Have you added any new chickens to your flock within the last 30days?
Your location and weather would be helpful as well.

Hopefully with more information, we can give you some suggestions.
If she is not eating/drinking, then do what you can to get her hydrated.

Hello.

Thanks for your reply, but I culled it today. It was extremely bad and I probably should have done it way sooner. The hen had two lumps over both eyes. In comparison to pictures I've seen before the lumps were unusual big. Combined with the fact the hen was very small and have not grown a lot since it arrived at the farm. This morning when I checked on her the infection started going down her eyes.

I'm sad I didn't do it sooner. She have suffered. It was also extremely painful to cull her. Everyone in the herd stoppped respecting her and just pulled her around. When I held her it was like she felt safe... I wish I could have done something to save her :( It was out of my hand...

Hello.

Thanks for your reply, but I culled it today. It was extremely bad and I probably should have done it way sooner. The hen had two lumps over both eyes. In comparison to pictures I've seen before the lumps were unusual big. Combined with the fact the hen was very small and have not grown a lot since it arrived at the farm. This morning when I checked on her the infection started going down her eyes.

I'm sad I didn't do it sooner. She have suffered. It was also extremely painful to cull her. Everyone in the herd stoppped respecting her and just pulled her around. When I held her it was like she felt safe... I wish I could have done something to save her :( It was out of my hand...
I'm sorry for your loss:hugs
It can be painful to let one go, but you did the right thing by ending her suffering.

Back
Top Bottom