Hen with swelling around eyes and 1 that's bubbling... pics added!!!

So Coco is no better and tonight is her last night with Tylan.... what do I do? :-(
I"m sorry that Tylan didn't help. I'm afraid that it appears that your hen's disease is caused by a virus, so no antibiotic will treat it. You could move on to another stronger antibiotic (I believe there is one called Baytril, and there are others, but I don't remember them), or you could stop antibiotic treatment, continue to give her supportive care, and see if her body can fight it off on her own. You might also consider culling her.

I would continue the Tylan for 5 days. What dose are you giving? There is another drug that is hard to find except online--Denagard. It is available at QC Supply online. You can give it in water. It is very bitter tasting and may have to be given with honey or something to mask the bitterness or by putting it in food. Supposedly nothing is resistant to this drug.

Ok... thanks for all the info! She's looking a little worse today and that's why I'm worried the Tylan isn't working. I will continue for another 2 days (since today is day 3) She's roughly 6lbs and I'm giving her a 1ml shot once a day. One a good note.... she managed to lay an egg today in the little nesting box I gave her. I'm no expert but if she were THAT sick wouldn't she stop laying? Looking for a good sign :)

Ok... thanks for all the info! She's looking a little worse today and that's why I'm worried the Tylan isn't working. I will continue for another 2 days (since today is day 3) She's roughly 6lbs and I'm giving her a 1ml shot once a day. One a good note.... she managed to lay an egg today in the little nesting box I gave her. I'm no expert but if she were THAT sick wouldn't she stop laying? Looking for a good sign :)
I didn't realize that you had only treated with Tylan for 3 days. I would definitely treat for 5 days. When I used Tylan on one of my chickens, it took three days before I noticed any results.
And yes, chickens usually don't lay eggs when they are stressed out, so I would consider that a small good sign.

Back
Top Bottom